Convergent Lenses: 2-Part Problem and Solution | Focal Point and Image Location

In summary, the object is placed at a distance 2 a to the left of lens # 1. The location of the final image is q2 with respect to lens #2, which is positive if it is to the right of lens #2 and negative otherwise.
DrMcDreamy

Homework Statement

This is a 2 part problem but I figure out the first part. Heres the 1st problem and the solution:
7- Given a convergent lens which has a focal point f. An object is placed at distance p = [tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex]f to the left of the lens. See the sketch.
Solution: q1 = 4f, and is a real image

8- Now place a convergent lens with a same focal length f at a distance d = f behind the first lens. Determine q2, i.e., the image location measured with respect to the second lens # 2.
I will upload the actual image later.

Given:
p1 = [tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex]f
q1 = 4f
f1 = f

p2 = ?
q2 = ?
f2 = f

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{f}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{p}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{q}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I would show my attempt at the solution but I don't know what is p2. How do I get p2?

Physics news on Phys.org
*bump*

The image formed by the first lens is now the object for the second lens. Find out where the image forms with respect to the second lens. Without drawing a picture it looks like p2 is -3f. That is:

|--|------q1/p2

where "|" is a lens and "--" is one distance f. As you can hopefully see, q1/p2 is 4f infront of lens one and 3f behind lens two. So do what you did in part one but with p2=-3f.

Thank you!

My work:

3[tex]\frac{1}{f}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{-3f}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{3-1}{3f}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex]f (inverse) = [tex]\frac{3}{4}[/tex]f

I have a similar problem here's my work but its wrong cause its not one of the answer choices:

Problem:

Consider the setup of the two-lens system shown in the figure, where the separation of the two lenses is denoted by d = 1.5 a. Their focal lengths are respectively f1 = a and f2 = 2 a. An object is placed at a distance 2 a to the left of lens # 1. Find the location of the final image q2 with respect to lens #2. Take q2 to be positive if it is to the right of lens #2 and negative otherwise.

Formula:

[tex]\frac{1}{f}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{p}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{q}[/tex]

My Work:

p1 = 2a
q1 = ?
f1 = a

p2 = ?
q2 = ?
f2 = 2a

[tex]\frac{1}{q1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{f}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{p}[/tex] = 2([tex]\frac{1}{a}[/tex]) - [tex]\frac{1}{2a}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2-1}{2a}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2a}[/tex] (inverse) = 2a = q1

[tex]\frac{q1}{p2}[/tex] = q1 = [tex]\frac{2a}{p2}[/tex] = 2a [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{2a x p2}{2a}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{2a}{2a}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] p2 = 1

[tex]\frac{1}{2a}[/tex]-([tex]\frac{1}{1}[/tex])2 = [tex]\frac{1-2a}{2a}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{a}{2a}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2a}{a}[/tex] = 2 = q2

What am I doing wrong?

FAQ: Convergent Lenses: 2-Part Problem and Solution | Focal Point and Image Location

1. What is a convergent lens?

A convergent lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is also known as a convex lens. This type of lens is curved inwards and causes parallel rays of light to converge at a point known as the focal point.

2. What is the focal point of a convergent lens?

The focal point is the point where parallel rays of light converge after passing through a convergent lens. It is the point where the image of an object placed in front of the lens will be formed. The distance from the lens to the focal point is known as the focal length.

3. How is the focal point of a convergent lens determined?

The focal point of a convergent lens can be determined using the lens equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the distance from the object to the lens, and di is the distance from the lens to the image. This equation takes into account the relationship between the object, lens, and image to calculate the focal point.

4. What is the image location in a convergent lens?

The image location in a convergent lens is the point where the image of an object is formed after passing through the lens. It can be determined using the image equation: M = -di/do, where M is the magnification, di is the distance from the lens to the image, and do is the distance from the object to the lens. This equation takes into account the size and orientation of the object and its image to calculate the image location.

5. How does a convergent lens form an image?

A convergent lens forms an image by refracting (bending) light rays that pass through it. The lens causes parallel rays of light to converge at the focal point, forming an image that is upside down and smaller than the object. This is due to the way the lens bends light and the relationship between the object, lens, and image.