Convergent Sequences and Functions

In summary, the problem involves proving the existence of a unique fixed point for a given function with a certain property. The provided hint suggests considering a recursively defined sequence and proving its convergence and limit. The problem solver is unsure of how to show the sequence is Cauchy and asks for help. The conversation ends with a possible hint to use the given property of the function to show that the sequence is Cauchy and to then prove the uniqueness of the fixed point.
zbr
Hello all, I am having trouble with a convergent series problem.

The problem statement:

Let f:ℝ→ℝ be a function such that there exists a constant 0<c<1 for which:
|f(x)-f(y)| ≤c|x-y|
for every x,y in ℝ. Prove that there exists a unique a in ℝ such that f(a) = a.

There is a provided hint:
Consider a sequence {x(n)} defined recurrently by x(n+1) = f(x(n)). Prove that it converges and its limit a satisfies f(a) = a.

My confusion is how to show that the recursive function converges and satisfies the required limit. Should I use a specific function f?

I am fairly certain that we need to show that this sequence (defined in the hint section) is Cauchy. This is what I have so far:

Consider the sequence:
x1 = f(0)
x2 = f(x1)
x3 = f(x2)
x(n+1) = f(xn)

Now let us take |xn-xm|:
|xn-xm| = (f(x(n-1)) - f(x(m-1))) < c|x(n-1) - x(m-1)|

However, here I don't know how to pick N sch that for every e>0:
c|x(n-1) - x(m-1)|<e for every n,m>= N (i.e. the definition of a cauchy sequence)Thanks in advance for all help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] | x_2 - x_1 | < c | x_1 - x_0 | [/itex]. [itex] | x_3 - x_2 | < c^2 | x_1 - x_0| [/itex]. [itex] | x_4 - x_3 | < c^3 | x_1 - x_0 | [/itex]. Etc etc. Take that for a hint and see what you can do with it. Once you've show it's Cauchy and defines a fixed point prove there aren't two fixed points.

Last edited:

Related to Convergent Sequences and Functions

1. What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the sequence increases. This specific value is called the limit of the sequence.

2. How can I determine if a sequence is convergent?

To determine if a sequence is convergent, you can use the limit test. This involves taking the limit of the sequence as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite value, then the sequence is convergent.

3. What is the difference between a convergent sequence and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases, while a divergent sequence does not have a limit or approaches infinity as the number of terms increases.

4. How do convergent sequences relate to functions?

In mathematics, a function is considered to be a convergent function if its corresponding sequence of values is a convergent sequence. This means that as the independent variable approaches a specific value, the corresponding dependent variable also approaches a specific value.

5. Can a sequence be convergent for one function but divergent for another function?

Yes, a sequence can be convergent for one function but divergent for another function. The convergence of a sequence depends on the function it is associated with. Two different functions can have different limits for the same sequence, resulting in one being convergent and the other being divergent.

Back