Converging Complex Series: Finding Limits and Sums

In summary, the first problem involves finding the limit of the series \sum(n = 0 to ∞) (-1)^n (\frac{2}{3})^n. By rewriting it as a geometric series, with a common ratio of (-2/3), the limit is found to be 3/5. The second problem, \sum(k = 1 to ∞) \frac{(-1)^k k^3}{(1+i)^k}, is also an alternating series but the root test is not applicable due to it being complex. Therefore, there is no known formula for finding the sum.
Hercuflea

Homework Statement

pardon my terrible latex skills

Find the limit of this series:

[itex]\sum[/itex] (n = 0 to ∞) (-1)[itex]^{n}[/itex]([itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex])[itex]^{n}[/itex]

Homework Equations

No idea, it looks like an alternating series test, but I am supposed to actually find the sum, not just whether or not it converges.

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum[/itex](k = 1 to ∞) [itex]\frac{(-1)^{k}k^{3}}{(1+i)^{k}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Once again, it looks like an alternating series. I tried the root test and got (1/2)-(1/2)i, but then I realized the root test is not applicable because the series is complex. No way to compare (1/2) - (1/2)i to the real number 1 in terms of ordering. Its not geometric so I don't have a formula for finding the sum.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Found the answer to the first problem,

Its a geometric series if you rewrite as Ʃ (-2/3)^n

Ratio is (-2/3) so the limit is 1/(1+2/3) = 3/5

I still have no idea how to do the second problem

Related to Converging Complex Series: Finding Limits and Sums

What are "2 Complex Series problems"?

"2 Complex Series problems" refer to mathematical problems that involve two complex series, which are infinite sequences of complex numbers. These problems often require advanced techniques in analysis and algebra to solve.

How are "2 Complex Series problems" different from regular series problems?

The main difference is that regular series problems involve real numbers, while "2 Complex Series problems" involve complex numbers. Complex numbers have both a real and imaginary component, which adds another layer of complexity to the problem.

What are some real-world applications of solving "2 Complex Series problems"?

"2 Complex Series problems" have various applications in science and engineering, such as in signal processing, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in financial modeling and risk analysis.

What are some common techniques used to solve "2 Complex Series problems"?

Some common techniques include the Cauchy convergence criterion, the Cauchy product, and the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem. Other methods include using the geometric series, Taylor series, and Laurent series.

Are there any tools or software that can help with solving "2 Complex Series problems"?

Yes, there are various mathematical software such as Mathematica, MATLAB, and Wolfram Alpha that can assist with solving "2 Complex Series problems." These programs have built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for working with complex numbers and series.