Converging Sequence: Find the Limit of t_n

In summary, the question is asking what the recursively defined series, t_(n+1)=sqrt(2+sqrt(t_n)), converges to. The person providing the solution suggests that the limit of this sequence can be found by setting t_(n+1) and t_n as the same number and solving the resulting equation.
akoska

Homework Statement

Let t1=sqrt(2)

Let t_(n+1)=sqrt(2+sqrt(t_n)) (it's a recursively defined series)

What does it converge to?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated it out for some values andI get 1.8312 (approx), but I don't want to express it in decimals, and I want to know if there's a good way to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's suppose it converges, then t_(n+1) and t_n will have a infinitesimally small difference as n approaches infinity, and you can consider them the same number. (aka the limit of this sequence)

I would have phrased it differently, but basically said the same thing. Since {tn+1[/b]} is exactly the same sequence as {tn}, just indexed differently, taking the limit as n goes to infinity gives the same value, say T, on both sides. Solve that equation for T. (That's not a trivial equation but there is one obvious root!)

Related to Converging Sequence: Find the Limit of t_n

1. What is a converging sequence?

A converging sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the sequence continues. This specific value is known as the limit of the sequence.

2. How do I find the limit of a converging sequence?

To find the limit of a converging sequence, you can use various methods such as the squeeze theorem, the ratio test, or the root test. You can also use algebraic manipulation or graphing to determine the limit.

3. What is the importance of finding the limit of a converging sequence?

Finding the limit of a converging sequence is important in various areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, statistics, and physics. It allows us to understand the behavior of a sequence and make predictions about its future values.

4. Can a converging sequence have more than one limit?

No, a converging sequence can only have one limit. If a sequence has multiple limits, then it is considered a diverging sequence.

5. How can I use the limit of a converging sequence in real-life applications?

The limit of a converging sequence can be used in real-life applications such as predicting population growth, analyzing financial trends, and understanding the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in data analysis and modeling in various fields.