Convert decimal to binary/octal/hex in assembly?

In summary, the purpose of converting decimal to binary/octal/hex in assembly is to make data compatible with computer systems. The conversion process involves dividing the decimal number by a specific base and recording remainders, and the benefits of using assembly language include efficiency in mathematical operations. However, it can be time-consuming and challenging for beginners. An example of converting decimal to binary in assembly would be dividing 25 by 2 and recording the remainder until the quotient becomes 0, resulting in the binary representation of 25 as 11001.
blackbird777

Homework Statement

I want to write an assembly program to convert a decimal to binary, octal, and hexadecimal but don't know how. I already know how to program the conversions in Java. I have a basic understanding of how assembly works and computer architecture. I am trying to use the program EMU8086 for this. Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your attempt at assembly code or the algorithm you're planning to use, and we can go from there.

Related to Convert decimal to binary/octal/hex in assembly?

What is the purpose of converting decimal to binary/octal/hex in assembly?

Converting decimal to binary/octal/hex in assembly is necessary because computers operate on binary code, which is a series of 0s and 1s. By converting decimal numbers to binary/octal/hex, we can represent and manipulate data in a way that is compatible with computer systems.

How do you convert decimal to binary/octal/hex in assembly?

The conversion process in assembly involves dividing the decimal number by 2 (for binary), 8 (for octal), or 16 (for hex) and recording the remainder until the quotient becomes 0. The remainders are then read in reverse order to get the desired binary/octal/hex representation.

What are the benefits of using assembly language for converting decimal to binary/octal/hex?

Assembly language is a low-level programming language that is closely tied to the computer's hardware and allows for direct manipulation of memory and registers. This makes it efficient for performing mathematical operations, such as converting decimal to binary/octal/hex.

Are there any limitations to converting decimal to binary/octal/hex in assembly?

One limitation of converting decimal to binary/octal/hex in assembly is that it can be time-consuming and tedious, especially for larger numbers. Additionally, assembly language is not as user-friendly as high-level programming languages, which may make the conversion process more challenging for beginners.

Can you provide an example of converting decimal to binary/octal/hex in assembly?

Yes, for example, converting the decimal number 25 to binary would involve dividing 25 by 2, which gives a quotient of 12 with a remainder of 1. Then, divide 12 by 2, which gives a quotient of 6 with a remainder of 0. Continuing this process, we get the binary representation of 25 as 11001.