Convert From General to Standard Form

In summary, To convert equations from general to standard form, you need to complete the square for the x terms. This is done by factoring out the coefficient of x, adding the square of half of the x coefficient, and balancing the equation by adding or subtracting the appropriate value. The resulting equation will have the vertex of the parabola at (-h, k).
dinahspence
Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me with something.

Can someone give me the step to convert the two equations from general to standard form? If you could, it would be such a great help to me. Thanks

y= x^2 - 2X + 5 and y= -3x^2 + 12x -4

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's been quite a few years, so I don't recall what standard form looks like. Is it like this?
y = A(x - h)2 + k

If so, what you need to do is complete the square in your x terms. For example, if your equation was y = -2x2 - 4x + 7, you would do this.

y = -2x2 - 4x + 7

Factor -2 from each of the x terms, getting this:
y = -2(x2 + 2x) + 7

Complete the square inside the parentheses, keeping track of what you really added.
y = -2(x2 + 2x + 1) + 7 + 2

In the step above, it looks like I added 1, but I really added -2, so to keep the right side equal to what it was, I have to balance that by adding + 2.

y = -2(x + 1)2 + 9

Not sure if this is the form you're looking for, but it is very useful nevertheless. Here we have the equation of a parabola whose vertex is located at (-1, 9).

If this is the form you're looking for, apply the same technique to your problems.

thanks!
can anyone help me with the second one?

The second one would be easier if you factor into -3 and the appropriate quadratic polynomial.

y= -3x^2 + 12x -4 = -3(x^2 - (-4)x + (4/3))

Now you want to focus most of your attention to completing the square for the polynomial, and then clean the remaining steps.

Related to Convert From General to Standard Form

1. What is the difference between general and standard form?

The general form of a number is typically written as a decimal with multiple digits, while the standard form is a simplified version of the number written in scientific notation with a coefficient and power of 10.

2. How do you convert from general to standard form?

To convert from general to standard form, move the decimal point in the general form until there is only one non-zero digit to the left. The number of places the decimal point is moved becomes the power of 10 in the standard form.

3. What is an example of converting from general to standard form?

An example of converting from general to standard form is the number 0.0000572. Moving the decimal point 5 places to the right gives us 5.72, and the power of 10 in the standard form becomes -5. Therefore, the number in standard form is 5.72 x 10^-5.

4. Why is standard form useful in scientific notation?

Standard form is useful in scientific notation because it allows for easier comparison of very large or very small numbers. It also simplifies calculations involving these numbers.

5. Can you convert any number from general to standard form?

Yes, any number can be converted from general to standard form as long as it is a real number. However, it may not always be practical or necessary to do so, depending on the context or purpose of the conversion.