Convert horsepower to duck power

So the answer is useless. :pIn summary, the conversation discusses converting horsepower into duck power, with one participant attempting to find a solution using data and statistics from various sources such as DnD and books. The average weight and horsepower of a horse and duck are provided, as well as the average weight of a human. A calculation using Kleiber's Law is suggested, resulting in an estimate of 42 duck power per horsepower. However, other participants provide different estimates ranging from 25 to 60 duck power per horsepower.
OmCheeto said:
Given that I know of no fractional ducks, I believe that your inference that 42 is close enough to the answer, makes me trust that Mr. Adams was correct.
Gentleman, there's something you are not understanding, you have reached the ultimate question!

"The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm."

The Earth was created to calculate the question, since Deep Thought could only say the answer, and we finally made it!

Likes Tom.G and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
Out of my league but I am a geek... and this bit seems important. Also, I need an answer too.

One metric horsepower is needed to lift 75 kilograms by 1 metre in 1 second

Yes

Power = force*velocity

Force = 75kg*10m=750N
Velocity = 1*1=1m/s

Power= 750*=750Watts=1hp

Squirrelpower website uses two "completely different methods for computing Squirrelpower that came up with surprisingly similar results. we decided to take our numbers and choose the average of the two."
https://eagletalon.net/squirrelpower/
How much Squirrelpower does your car produce? Enter the horsepower of your car below and hit the calculate button to find out how much SquirrelPower (sqp) it produces...
Summary
"That’s right – based on math, geekness and subjective thinking, 1200 squirrels can do the work of one horse!"
Now is that NUTS or what? LOL :biggrin:

@Simon Bridge using the information you provided I calculated approximately 88.24851 Dp in one Hp

Well, I'm off to find 89 ducks, a horse, and a length of good, strong rope...

DaveC426913 said:
Well, I'm off to find 89 ducks, a horse, and a length of good, strong rope...
Horse Collars are still around. Duck Collars, not so much. :wink:

Tom

Dr.D said:
This all seems pretty much a waste of time, particularly when we observe that 1 hp has little or no bearing on the power output from any particular horse at any particular instant.
If it makes me laugh you didn't waste your time! Maybe I'm wasting mine but...
So far nobody seems to have addressed the power required to fly which will be a far more energetic mode of transport than swimming.

Tom.G said:
Duck Collars [sic]
Here's one:
DSC02555.jpg

:woot:

Attachments

• DSC02555.jpg
    DSC02555.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,703
Likes dlgoff and Bystander
CH WILSON said:
So far nobody seems to have addressed the power required to fly which will be a far more energetic mode of transport than swimming.
Especially for the horse...

Come to think about it, that's another good question. How wildly must a horse flail its legs, in order to achieve flight?

CH WILSON said:

It was addressed in post #26: Convert horsepower to duck power

Ducks.org said:
Fat stores accumulated prior to and during migration come in handy because flight is among the most energetically costly activities that waterfowl undertake. Ducks burn 12 times more energy in flight than at rest. The energetic costs of flying are proportional to the size of the bird—the bigger the bird, the more energy required.
http://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-research-science/understanding-waterfowl-fat-is-fit

Likes Dragrath
Remember, the primary flight muscles are the strongest part of a duck not his webbed feet.

Likes Dragrath
Likes Bystander
Back