Convert Linewidth \Gamma of Nuclear Level to Seconds/Inverse Seconds

• Thread starter Rajini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of expressing the line width of a nuclear level in seconds or inverse seconds. Planck's constant is suggested as a conversion factor, and the relation between the decay time and natural energy linewidth broadening is mentioned, with a reference to the Lorentzian function as a model for homogeneous broadening. The conversation also discusses the conversion between different units, such as eV, neV, mm/s, and Hz, and provides examples for converting between them. Overall, the conversation aims to understand the relationship between decay time, natural energy linewidth, and conversion between different units of measurement.
Rajini
Hello all,

is there any possibility to express line width [tex]\Gamma[/tex] of the nuclear level in second (s) or inverse second ?
For eg. for 57Fe,
[tex]\Gamma=4.6413[/tex] neV = 0.09654 mm/s for the 1st excited level of 57Fe.
I want to how one can convert to second or inverse second.
PS: some conversion factors that i know are: 1 mm/s = 48.075 neV and 1 eV = 8065.5 cm-1
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Planck's constant

h/2π = 6.582118 x 10-16 eV-seconds

Bob S

I use the two factors: 1=197.32 MeV-fm
and 1=2.9979...X10^23 fm/sec.

They give 1 MeV=197.32/( 2.9979 X 10^23) /sec.
divide by 10^15 to get it in neV.

Last edited:
hello,
i think i have not supplied some information.
In a book i found the following relation:
[tex]\Gamma/\omega_N<1[/tex]. Here [tex]\Gamma[/tex] is nuclear line width and [tex]\omega_N[/tex] is Larmor precession frequency.
But i prefer to write as [tex]\tau_N<(1/\Gamma)[/tex]---is this correct?[[tex]\tau_N=(\omega_N)^{-1}[/tex]]
What i understand is the unit of [tex]\tau_N[/tex] (obviously unit is s) and [tex]\Gamma[/tex] should be same. Also [tex]\Gamma[/tex] can take unit as mm/s, eV, etc and [tex]\omega_N[/tex] may be in Hz i guess. But we also know that inverse of [tex]\omega_N[/tex] has a unit in second.
But the gamma value is fixed Mössbauer related constant. For 57Fe and usually given in eV or neV or mm/s. and mean lifetime is 141 ns.
thanks again

Hi-
In your original post, you state that the energy uncertainty is 4.6413 x 10-9 ev, and in the above post that the mean lifetime is 141 x 10-9 seconds. The product is 6.544 x 10-16 eV-seconds, very close to the value for the value of Plancks constant (h/2π) = 6.582118 x 10-16 eV-seconds, given in post #1. This is a hint.

Bob S

[Added] See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound–Rebka_experiment

δE/E = 4.64 x 10-9 eV / 14 KeV = 3.3 x 10-13

δv/c = 0.09564 mm per sec / 3 x 1011 mm per sec = 3.2 x 10-13

So δE/E = δv/c

Last edited:
Hello Bob,
I really don't get any clue for conversion (it not a home work problem).
As we know that:
[tex]
\tau\;\Gamma\geq\hbar.
[/tex]
Here [tex]\tau=141.8169[/tex] ns and [tex]\hbar=6.58211899\times10^{-16}[/tex] eVs.
So using the above formula i get
[tex]\Gamma=4.6413 [/tex] neV.
I really do not get any hint for conversion of the unit of [tex]\Gamma[/tex] to s-1 or s.
thanks for your help

Rajini-
The relationship between the decay time and the natural energy linewidth broadening arises from the Fourier transform from time domain to frequency domain (hence photon energy since E=hω/2π). See the section titled

"The Lorentzian function is a model of homogeneous broadening"

in

http://chsfpc5.chem.ncsu.edu/~franzen/CH795Z/ps/2002/lecture/lecture26/lineshape/lineshape.html

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Convert Linewidth \Gamma of Nuclear Level to Seconds/Inverse Seconds

1. What is the significance of converting linewidth Gamma of nuclear level to seconds/inverse seconds?

The linewidth Gamma of nuclear level is a measure of the width of the energy spectrum of a nuclear level. Converting it to seconds/inverse seconds allows us to understand the lifetime of the nuclear level, which is an important factor in various nuclear reactions and processes.

2. How is the linewidth Gamma of nuclear level related to the lifetime of the nuclear level?

The linewidth Gamma of nuclear level is inversely proportional to the lifetime of the nuclear level. This means that a smaller linewidth indicates a longer lifetime and vice versa. Converting the linewidth to seconds/inverse seconds allows us to directly calculate the lifetime of the nuclear level.

3. What is the formula for converting linewidth Gamma of nuclear level to seconds/inverse seconds?

The formula for converting linewidth Gamma of nuclear level to seconds/inverse seconds is:
Lifetime (s) = hbar / (2 * pi * Gamma)
Where hbar is the reduced Planck's constant (1.0546 x 10^-34 J*s) and pi is the mathematical constant (3.14159...)

4. Can the linewidth Gamma of nuclear level be measured experimentally?

Yes, the linewidth Gamma of nuclear level can be measured experimentally using various spectroscopic techniques such as gamma-ray spectroscopy. By analyzing the energy spectrum, the linewidth can be determined and then converted to seconds/inverse seconds to calculate the lifetime of the nuclear level.

5. How does the linewidth Gamma of nuclear level affect nuclear reactions?

The linewidth Gamma of nuclear level plays a crucial role in determining the probability of a nuclear reaction occurring. A smaller linewidth (longer lifetime) means a lower probability of a reaction taking place. This is because a longer lifetime allows more time for the system to reach equilibrium, making the reaction less likely to occur.