Converting A Polar Equation to Rectangular Form

In summary, to convert the polar equation r=2sin(3θ) to rectangular form, use the expressions x=r cosθ, y=r sinθ and distribute the 2, then apply the double-angle identities. After simplifying, multiply both sides by r^3 and combine like terms to get the answer (x^2+y^2)^2=6x^2y-2y^3.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Convert the polar equation to rectangular form.

r=2sin(3θ)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can expand this out to

[tex]r=2(\sin\theta\cos2\theta+\cos\theta\sin2\theta)[/tex]

multiply both sides by r

[tex]r^2=2r(\sin\theta\cos2\theta+2r\cos\theta\sin2\theta)[/tex]

simplify

[tex]r^2=2y\cos2\theta+2x\sin2\theta)[/tex]

Then I could expand the 2θ and get

[tex]r^2=2y\cos^2\theta-2y\sin^2\theta+4x\sin\theta\cos\theta[/tex]

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Plugging it into [tex]x^2+y^2=r^2[/tex] from here dosen't seam to help.

The answer is supposed to be: [tex](x^2+y^2)^2=6x^2y-2y^3[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
themadhatter1 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I can expand this out to

[tex]r=2(\sin\theta\cos2\theta+\cos\theta\sin2\theta)[/tex]
From here I would go ahead and distribute the 2, and then use the double-angle identities. For cosine, use the cos 2θ = cos2 θ - sin2 θ variant, like you did later on.

After simplifying (you'll be able to combine like terms along the way), multiply both sides by [tex]r^3[/tex] instead of [tex]r[/tex], so that each trig function on the right side can be "paired" with an r. You will eventually be able to get to the answer you posted.69

Use the expressions x=r cosθ, y=r sinθ.

ehild

eumyang said:
From here I would go ahead and distribute the 2, and then use the double-angle identities. For cosine, use the cos 2θ = cos2 θ - sin2 θ variant, like you did later on.

After simplifying (you'll be able to combine like terms along the way), multiply both sides by [tex]r^3[/tex] instead of [tex]r[/tex], so that each trig function on the right side can be "paired" with an r. You will eventually be able to get to the answer you posted.

Ahhh.. yes.

Thank you, that was a big help.

Cant believe I didn't see that before.

Related to Converting A Polar Equation to Rectangular Form

1. What is a polar equation and how is it different from a rectangular equation?

A polar equation is an equation that relates the distance and angle of a point from a fixed origin on a polar coordinate system. It is different from a rectangular equation, which relates the coordinates of a point on a Cartesian coordinate system.

2. Why would I need to convert a polar equation to rectangular form?

Converting a polar equation to rectangular form can be useful for graphing or solving equations using traditional algebraic methods. It can also make it easier to visualize and understand the relationship between variables in the equation.

3. What is the process for converting a polar equation to rectangular form?

The process involves using the relationships between polar and rectangular coordinates, specifically the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions, to rewrite the equation in terms of x and y. This typically involves substituting r² = x² + y² and θ = tan⁻¹ (y/x) into the original polar equation.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions when converting a polar equation to rectangular form?

Yes, there are certain limitations and restrictions to keep in mind. For example, some polar equations may not have a corresponding rectangular form, and some may have multiple forms depending on the range of θ values. In addition, the conversion process may not work for all types of polar equations, such as those with multiple values of r for a single value of θ.

5. Can I convert a rectangular equation to polar form?

Yes, it is possible to convert a rectangular equation to polar form using similar techniques. This can be done by substituting x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ into the rectangular equation and then simplifying. However, not all rectangular equations have a corresponding polar form, and some may have multiple forms depending on the range of x and y values.