Converting from mass/volume to length

• Thread starter dchau503
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, a piece of gold leaf weighing 1.93 mg can be beaten into a transparent film covering an area of 14.5 cm^2. The volume of 1.93 mg of gold is 10^(-4) cm^3. To find the thickness of the film in angstroms, the equation 14.5 cm^2 x (thickness in cm) = 1*10^(-4) cm^3 is used, and the result is converted to angstroms.
dchau503

Homework Statement

A piece of gold leaf (density 19.3 g/cm^3) weighing 1.93 mg can be beaten into a transparent film covering an area of 14.5 cm^3. what is the volume of 1.93 mg of gold? What is the thickness of the transparent film in angstroms? I only need help with the second question. The volume of 1.93 mg of gold is 10^(-4) cm^3, but I don't know how to convert to length on the second question.

Homework Equations

Angstrom=10^(-10) meters
d=mass over volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to cheat by taking the third root of 14.5 cm^3 in order to get to cm:

(14.5cm^3)^(1/3)=2.44 cm

2.44 cm (10^(-2)m/1cm)(1 Angstrom/10^(-10) meters)= 2.44 x 10^8 anstroms

The answer is 690 angstroms though and i don't know how

Physics news on Phys.org

dchau503 said:

Homework Statement

A piece of gold leaf (density 19.3 g/cm^3) weighing 1.93 mg can be beaten into a transparent film covering an area of 14.5 cm^3. what is the volume of 1.93 mg of gold? What is the thickness of the transparent film in angstroms? I only need help with the second question. The volume of 1.93 mg of gold is 10^(-4) cm^3, but I don't know how to convert to length on the second question.

Homework Equations

Angstrom=10^(-10) meters
d=mass over volume

(14.5cm^3)^(1/3)=2.44 cm

There is at least one typo in the problem statement. What are the units of area?

Once you fix that, the volume of the leaf is just the area multiplied by the thickness, right?

dchau503 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Angstrom=10^(-10) meters
d=mass over volume

(14.5cm^3)^(1/3)=2.44 cm

One problem may be the area of 14.5... cm^3 is not area.
If I assume that to be cm^2 the problem works out fine.
I think of it as a very shallow box of gold with a volume of LxWxH where you know L and W and just need H so that the volume becomes what it's supposed to be. LxW is area, so AxH should = Volume.

Good?

berkeman said:
There is at least one typo in the problem statement. What are the units of area?

Once you fix that, the volume of the leaf is just the area multiplied by the thickness, right?

There's no area measurement listed in the original question. But that would make it a lot easier, if the problem did list it.

Edit: actually, the problem did say the "area of 14.5 cm^3"...but that's weird because a cubed unit signifies volume, not area.

dchau503 said:
There's no area measurement listed in the original question. But that would make it a lot easier, if the problem did list it.

Edit: actually, the problem did say the "area of 14.5 cm^3"...but that's weird because a cubed unit signifies volume, not area.

So the units must be wrong...

Jakeus314 said:
One problem may be the area of 14.5... cm^3 is not area.
If I assume that to be cm^2 the problem works out fine.
I think of it as a very shallow box of gold with a volume of LxWxH where you know L and W and just need H so that the volume becomes what it's supposed to be. LxW is area, so AxH should = Volume.

Good?

Your advice put me on the right track, but I still don't have the complete answer:

I did 14.5 cm^3 x (thickness) = 1X10^(-4) cm^3

From the equation, I solved that thickness is 6.9 x 10^(-6) cm^3. I got the right significant figures, but not the right units. How do I convert that answer into angstroms?

dchau503 said:
Your advice put me on the right track, but I still don't have the complete answer:

I did 14.5 cm^3 x (thickness) = 1X10^(-4) cm^3

From the equation, I solved that thickness is 6.9 x 10^(-6) cm^3. I got the right significant figures, but not the right units. How do I convert that answer into angstroms?

14.5 cm^3 is an error on someones part.
6.9 x 10^(-6) cm^3 is not a thickness.

Solving for thickness,
14.5 cm^2 x (thickness in cm) = 1*10^(-4) cm^3
Gives a thickness in cm.
Convert that to angstroms since those are the requested units.

cm^3 / cm^2. Yields cm

Jakeus314 said:
14.5 cm^3 is an error on someones part.
6.9 x 10^(-6) cm^3 is not a thickness.

Solving for thickness,
14.5 cm^2 x (thickness in cm) = 1*10^(-4) cm^3
Gives a thickness in cm.
Convert that to angstroms since those are the requested units.

cm^3 / cm^2. Yields cm

Thanks for the answer. I finally understand the problem and it's solution, even with the typo in the problem. :(

Crash-course study books frequently have mistakes in them, lol.

FAQ: Converting from mass/volume to length

1. How do you convert from mass to length?

To convert from mass to length, you need to know the density of the substance. The formula for converting mass to length is: length = mass / density.

2. What is the formula for converting volume to length?

The formula for converting volume to length depends on the shape of the object. For a rectangular solid, the formula is length = volume / (width x height). For a cylinder, the formula is length = volume / (π x radius^2).

3. Can you provide an example of converting from mass to length?

Sure, let's say we have a substance with a mass of 100 grams and a density of 5 grams per cubic centimeter. To convert to length, we would use the formula length = mass / density, so length = 100 grams / 5 grams per cubic centimeter. This gives us a length of 20 cubic centimeters.

4. How do you convert from grams to inches?

To convert from grams to inches, you will need to use the appropriate conversion factor. The conversion factor for grams to inches is 1 gram = 0.035274 ounces, and 1 ounce = 0.0625 pounds. So, you can convert from grams to inches by first converting to ounces, then to pounds, and finally to inches.

5. Is there a specific unit of measurement used for converting mass/volume to length?

There is no specific unit of measurement for converting mass/volume to length. The unit of measurement will depend on the units used for mass, volume, and length in the original measurement. It is important to make sure all units are consistent when converting between these measurements.

Back