Converting joules into a measureable mass (lbs of weight)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of KE (kinetic energy) in calculating the energy involved in physical activities such as running. The speaker is seeking suggestions on how to convert the calculated joules into mass in order to develop a structured weight training program. The other person raises points about the limitations of using KE alone and suggests looking into other measures such as calories to get a more accurate picture of energy expenditure. They also provide a resource for further information.
christopher.h
It has been a long time since I have emersed myself in physics but I am trying to write a labview program that takes into account distance, speed, mass to calculate the KE of an activity such as running a mile or shorter distances like 40 yards. With the KE I am having trouble figuring out how to convert the joules from calculating KE into mass (lbs of weight) which I will use the mass to develop a structured weight training program to test upon myself. Do you have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not clear just what your objective is.

KE has nothing to do with distance...KE = 1/2mv2...nor does it take into
account acceleration in which I suspect you may be interested.

You know from experience running up hill is very different from running downhill...that's because potential energy as well as KE is involved...is that a consideration for you? Even a sloped treadmill is more difficult to run.

Biological activity, if that is what you seek, is often measured in calories...related of course to joules since both are measures of energy.

KE is not quite the measure unless you make adjustments you want because sitting still you'll still burn calories. I seem to recall an average adult gives of about 400 BTU per hour...whatever the figure, it's sometimes used to calculated air conditioning requirements in large rooms ..

try here...and see if any of the links are helpful...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calories

Related to Converting joules into a measureable mass (lbs of weight)

1. How do you convert joules into measurable mass?

To convert joules into a measurable mass, you need to use the equation E=mc^2, where E represents energy in joules, m represents mass in kilograms, and c represents the speed of light in meters per second. You can then solve for mass by dividing energy by the speed of light squared.

2. What is the relationship between joules and mass?

Joules and mass are related through the famous equation E=mc^2, which states that energy (E) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c^2). This means that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into each other.

3. Can you convert joules into pounds of weight?

Yes, it is possible to convert joules into pounds of weight. However, the conversion will depend on the specific object or substance you are measuring. To convert, you will need to know the mass of the object in kilograms and use the conversion factor of 1 kilogram = 2.20462 pounds.

4. Why would someone need to convert joules into a measurable mass?

Converting joules into a measurable mass can be useful in various scientific fields, such as physics and chemistry. It allows scientists to quantify the amount of energy stored in a certain mass, which can help in understanding the behavior and properties of different substances.

5. Are there any limitations to converting joules into a measurable mass?

There are a few limitations to converting joules into a measurable mass. This method assumes that all of the energy is being converted into mass, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the conversion may vary depending on the specific conditions and factors involved, such as the speed of light and the type of substance being measured.