Converting Milligauss to Hertz: Explained

• I
  • Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the conversation revolves around the confusion between the units of milligauss and hertz and whether there is a conversion between the two. The original post on a forum about EMF radiation in aquarium pumps is deemed to be inaccurate and misleading. The conversation also touches upon the topic of electric motors generating magnetic fields and the potential health concerns related to it. It is concluded that there is no direct conversion between milligauss and hertz, as they are measuring different physical quantities.
nmsurobert
this may be a stupid question, but does anyone know the conversation from millgauss to hertz.
Let me explain because I feel it's made up.

Someone posted this on another forum I frequent.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/emf-radiation-aquarium-pumps.674555/

I didn't know what a milligauss was. I doubt the filter is anything to worry about but I had no idea what a milligauss was so I started googling. And didn't really find anything.

I found this that says 1 microtesla = 10 milligauss. But it also says microgauss is a unit to refer to lower frequencies on the em spectrum. That's wrong, right?
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/emf-radiation-aquarium-pumps.674555/

Am I crazy?

Physics news on Phys.org
nmsurobert said:
this may be a stupid question, but does anyone know the conversation from millgauss to hertz.

there is no direct conversion as they are measuring different things

Gauss = magnetic field strength
Hertz = frequency

nmsurobert said:

garbage ... If you live in a colder climate place, your electric blanket for a bed would be much worse than this
or your mains powered alarm clock on the table beside your bedDave

davenn said:
there is no direct conversion as they are measuring different things

Gauss = magnetic field strength
Hertz = frequency
garbage ... If you live in a colder climate place, your electric blanket for a bed would be much worse than this
or your mains powered alarm clock on the table beside your bedDave
I've been googling "milligauss" and I couldn't find anything.
I've never seen that unit before.

There is no conversion, since milligauss and hertz are measures of different physical quantities.

Milligauss is a measure of magnetic field strength. Hertz is a measure of frequency, and is synonymous with "cycles per second".

nmsurobert said:
I've been googling "milligauss" and I couldn't find anything.
I've never seen that unit before.

1 Gauss, 1 milliGauss, 1 uGauss (microGauss) etc as the units get smaller
same for Tesla ... mT, uT, nT (nT = nanoTesla ... very small)

Teslas are the commonly used units, here's one that I keep an eye on daily

Interplanetary Mag. Field
Btotal: 6.3 nT
Bz: 4.3 nT south

Dave

You learn something new every day.
I bet I have heard it once... And only once lol.

Likes davenn
nmsurobert said:
You learn something new every day.

yup we sure do ...
I love the Physics Forums ... I wander through a lot of threads on topics I know next to nothing about
I the many years I have been on here, its been a wonderful learning experience

D

nmsurobert said:

Someone posted this on another forum I frequent.

I didn't know what a milligauss was. I doubt the filter is anything to worry about but I had no idea what a milligauss was so I started googling. And didn't really find anything.

I found this that says 1 microtesla = 10 milligauss. But it also says microgauss is a unit to refer to lower frequencies on the em spectrum. That's wrong, right?

Am I crazy?
I checked the URLs (they are 'not even wrong'), but as usual, there is some kernel of science buried in the garbage:

1) electric motors (and other electric equipment) will generate magnetic fields. These fields are typically milligauss or less:

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/project/mapnatreps/nznrl_emfbooklet2008.pdf

2) Gauss can sometimes be converted into a frequency- this is NMR, and the frequency is the Larmor frequency. It's typically in MHz for NMR magnets- totally unrelated to #1 above.

Andy Resnick said:
2) Gauss can sometimes be converted into a frequency- this is NMR, and the frequency is the Larmor frequency. It's typically in MHz for NMR magnets- totally unrelated to #1 above.
Alternatively, Guass can be "converted" into the cyclotron frequency, which will have an entirely different value. And, both Larmor and cyclotron frequencies are different for different particles. So, the term converted is being used here in a very different sense than, say, when converting feet into meters.

As you said, totally unrelated to post #1.

Related to Converting Milligauss to Hertz: Explained

1. How do you convert milligauss to hertz?

Converting milligauss to hertz involves using the formula f = B/2πm, where B is the magnetic field strength in milligauss and m is the permeability of the medium. This formula can be rearranged to solve for B, which is the hertz value.

2. What is the relationship between milligauss and hertz?

Milligauss and hertz are both measurements of different physical properties. Milligauss is a unit of magnetic field strength, while hertz is a unit of frequency. However, they are related through the equation f = B/2πm, which shows how the magnetic field strength affects the frequency.

3. Why is it important to convert milligauss to hertz?

Converting milligauss to hertz is important in order to understand the relationship between the magnetic field strength and frequency. It can also be useful in various scientific and engineering applications where knowledge of the hertz value is needed.

4. Can milligauss be directly converted to hertz?

No, milligauss cannot be directly converted to hertz as they are measurements of different physical properties. However, they are related through the formula f = B/2πm, which can be used to convert between the two units.

5. Are there any online converters for milligauss to hertz?

Yes, there are several online converters available that can easily convert milligauss to hertz using the formula f = B/2πm. However, it is important to verify the accuracy of the converter and the source of the formula used.