Converting parsecs to Mega-parsecs

• Thread starter Krissy0612
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about figuring out the distance of an object in parsecs and then converting it to mega-parsecs. The formula D= 10^((m-M+5)/5) is used to calculate the distance in parsecs, and to convert it to mega-parsecs, the number of parsecs must be divided by a million. The speaker is seeking help and clarification on this conversion.
Krissy0612
I am doing a lab and it asks me to figure the distance of an object in pc (parsecs) and then it asks to figure the distance of the same object in Mpc (Mega-parsecs).

*I know that D= 10^((m-M+5)/5) <---will this get me Distance in pc?
If it does than I think I did this right.
D= 10^((14.62- -22+5)/5)= 10^(41.62/5)= 10^8.324

Now I just need to know how to convert parsecs into Mpc. My teacher has not gone over this in class.

Can anyone help me? If so, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Krissy0612 said:
I am doing a lab and it asks me to figure the distance of an object in pc (parsecs) and then it asks to figure the distance of the same object in Mpc (Mega-parsecs).

*I know that D= 10^((m-M+5)/5) <---will this get me Distance in pc?
If it does than I think I did this right.
D= 10^((14.62- -22+5)/5)= 10^(41.62/5)= 10^8.324

Now I just need to know how to convert parsecs into Mpc. My teacher has not gone over this in class.

Can anyone help me? If so, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Mega means a million. A megaparsec is a million parsecs. To get the number of megaparsecs divide the number od parsecs by a million.

To convert parsecs (pc) to Mega-parsecs (Mpc), you can use the fact that 1 Mpc is equal to 1 million pc. So, to convert from pc to Mpc, you simply need to divide the distance in pc by 1 million. In your case, the distance in Mpc would be 10^8.324 / 1 million = 0.00001 Mpc. So the distance of the object is approximately 0.00001 Mpc or 10 pc.

It seems like you have correctly calculated the distance in pc using the formula D= 10^((m-M+5)/5). Just remember to always double check your units and make sure they are consistent. In this case, the units for the distance in pc should be pc, and the units for the distance in Mpc should be Mpc.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab!

FAQ: Converting parsecs to Mega-parsecs

1. How do you convert parsecs to mega-parsecs?

To convert parsecs to mega-parsecs, you simply divide the number of parsecs by one million.

2. What is the conversion factor for parsecs to mega-parsecs?

The conversion factor for parsecs to mega-parsecs is 1 million (or 1,000,000).

3. How many mega-parsecs are in one parsec?

One mega-parsec is equal to one million parsecs.

4. Can you convert mega-parsecs to other units of distance?

Yes, you can convert mega-parsecs to other units of distance such as kilometers, miles, or light years. You will need to use conversion factors for each specific unit of distance.

5. Why is it important to convert parsecs to mega-parsecs?

Converting parsecs to mega-parsecs allows us to work with larger units of distance that are more relevant in cosmology and astronomy. Mega-parsecs are often used to measure the distances between galaxies and clusters of galaxies.