Converting Rotational Motion to Pendulum-Like Oscillation

In summary, the engineer is trying to provide a direction for the user to research some methods to create a mechanism that will rotate an output gear about an anchor point. The user may find it helpful to research a reciprocating motor or a free swinging pendulum that can be driven by a motor.
bobthebloh
Hello,

I am trying to create a mechanism that will allow for a motor to power a pendulum-like motion (but not an actual pendulum), back and forth. As shown in the picture, I need 180 degrees of rotation about the swinging part. I have researched escapement, but I need this design not to rely on gravity and to move much faster than I imagine the anchor escapement works. Ideally, such a mechanism would minimize the loss of torque on the output gear, so that I can use this oscillating motion to accomplish other tasks in my application.

I would appreciate any help you can provide!

Attachments

• Untitled drawing (1).png
    Untitled drawing (1).png
    4.4 KB · Views: 987
Engineering news on Phys.org
There are lots of ways to do this - you know how to turn back-and-forth motion into circular motion ... this is just going the other way.

Simon Bridge said:
There are lots of ways to do this - you know how to turn back-and-forth motion into circular motion ... this is just going the other way.
Could you please provide an example?

I'm not sure if it's clear in my drawing, but the green part is intended to rotate, not slide linearly. I could easily come up with mechanisms that convert linear to rotational or vice versa, but my problem is achieving a back-and-forth rotational motion to power another mechanism.

I would really appreciate an example name or reference site! Thank you!

A reciprocating motor turns back-and-forth motion into rotating motion.

Now: none of us are going to present you with a design - this is what you pay engineers for.
What we can do is attempt to match your existing knowledge with a direction for you to do your own research, maybe some trial and error.

Imagine your green wheel has a peg sticking out of it ... that peg can fit into a groove in a rod. If one end of the rod is fixed to a pivot, then, as the wheel turns, the rod is forces to swing back and forth.

This won't give you the full 180 ... but you can put a section of toothed gear on the swinging end and use that to drive another cog that your pendulum arm is fixed to.

This is not actually a pendulum - it is a motor that waves a rod back and forth.
If you prefer to have a free swinging pendulum that can be driven by a motor, that is a different design.

Related to Converting Rotational Motion to Pendulum-Like Oscillation

1. How does converting rotational motion to pendulum-like oscillation work?

Converting rotational motion to pendulum-like oscillation involves using a mechanism that changes the direction of the rotation into a back-and-forth swinging motion, similar to that of a pendulum. This is typically achieved through the use of a crankshaft and connecting rod mechanism.

2. What are the benefits of converting rotational motion to pendulum-like oscillation?

One of the main benefits is that it allows for a smoother and more controlled motion compared to traditional rotational motion. This can be useful in applications such as clock mechanisms or amusement park rides.

3. What are some common examples of converting rotational motion to pendulum-like oscillation?

Some common examples include pendulum clocks, swing rides at amusement parks, and pendulum wave demonstrations.

4. How is energy conserved in the process of converting rotational motion to pendulum-like oscillation?

Energy is conserved in this process through the principles of conservation of angular momentum and conservation of energy. The initial rotational energy is converted into potential energy at the highest point of the oscillation and then back into rotational energy as the pendulum swings back and forth.

5. Are there any limitations to converting rotational motion to pendulum-like oscillation?

One limitation is that the mechanism can only produce a limited range of motion, depending on the length of the pendulum. Additionally, the conversion process can also result in some energy loss due to friction and other factors.