Converting statements and logic

• MHB
  • Thread starter strifex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, if you have a vessel filled with water, the water does not need your permission to escape through some approved hole.If there is a hole, the water will escape.Similarly, a formula $\exists x\,A$ does not accept recommendations about $x$.If there is a single $x$ that makes $A$ true, then $\exists x\,A$ is true.Now, $y=1$ makes $E(x)\land E(y)$ false; therefore, it makes $E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y$ true.Recall the truth table for $\to$, where 1 denotes truth and 0 falsehood.\[
strifex
Hello! I'm just starting out on this logic train and I'm not sure I'm grasping it correctly. I took a statement and attempted to convert it into the symbols below.

∀x∈ℤ,∃y∈ℤ,(E(x)∧E(y)) → x = 2y

The original phrase is:

Any even integer is equal to twice some other event integer.

Which I translated to:

For all x in integers, and some y in integers, if x is even and y is even, then x is 2 times y.

Am I on the even on the right track? Any help would great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

strifex said:
Any even integer is equal to twice some other event integer.
This statement is false (consider, e.g., 2), but that's OK because a statement does not need to be true to be convertible to a formula.

Note also that the precise syntax of formulas differs between different textbooks, so one may consider \(\displaystyle \forall x\in\mathbb{Z}\,A\) fine, while another may require rewriting this as \(\displaystyle \forall x\,(x\in\mathbb{Z}\to A)\) or something like \(\displaystyle \forall x\,(Z(x)\to A)\). Also, there may be different rules of scope: some books say that the scope of quantifiers is as small as possible, so $\forall x\,A\to B$ is interpreted as $(\forall x\,A)\to B$ (in this case one has to write $\forall x\,(A\to B)$ to have the whole implication under $\forall$), while others make the scope as large as possible.

strifex said:
∀x∈ℤ,∃y∈ℤ,(E(x)∧E(y)) → x = 2y
This does not reflect the meaning of the original statement. This formula is true. Indeed, for every $x$ I can find a $y$ that is not even, for example, $y=1$. This would make $E(y)$ and $E(x)\land E(y)$ false and the implication $E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y$ true regardless of the value of $x=2y$.

There is the following rule of thumb. If one has a restriction like "$x$ is even" after a quantifier (i.e., "for all even $x$" or "there exists an even $x$"), then one separates this restriction from the rest of the formula with $\to$ after the universal quantifier and with $\land$ after the existential quantifier. That is, $\forall x\,(E(x)\to\dots)$ and $\exists x\,(E(x)\land\dots)$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

This statement is false (consider, e.g., 2), but that's OK because a statement does not need to be true to be convertible to a formula.

Note also that the precise syntax of formulas differs between different textbooks, so one may consider \(\displaystyle \forall x\in\mathbb{Z}\,A\) fine, while another may require rewriting this as \(\displaystyle \forall x\,(x\in\mathbb{Z}\to A)\) or something like \(\displaystyle \forall x\,(Z(x)\to A)\). Also, there may be different rules of scope: some books say that the scope of quantifiers is as small as possible, so $\forall x\,A\to B$ is interpreted as $(\forall x\,A)\to B$ (in this case one has to write $\forall x\,(A\to B)$ to have the whole implication under $\forall$), while others make the scope as large as possible.

This does not reflect the meaning of the original statement. This formula is true. Indeed, for every $x$ I can find a $y$ that is not even, for example, $y=1$. This would make $E(y)$ and $E(x)\land E(y)$ false and the implication $E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y$ true regardless of the value of $x=2y$.

There is the following rule of thumb. If one has a restriction like "$x$ is even" after a quantifier (i.e., "for all even $x$" or "there exists an even $x$"), then one separates this restriction from the rest of the formula with $\to$ after the universal quantifier and with $\land$ after the existential quantifier. That is, $\forall x\,(E(x)\to\dots)$ and $\exists x\,(E(x)\land\dots)$.
Thank you for taking the time to help me! I'm still a bit confused though. The original statement states that x is an EVEN integer and y is another EVEN integer, but your examples use y =1. If you put set y to 1, then it the first part of my formula is false. I set E(x) = x is even. So for the first half to be true, both x and y must be even.

strifex said:
The original statement states that x is an EVEN integer and y is another EVEN integer, but your examples use y =1.
I am talking about your formula rather than the original statement, and yes, I am taking $y=1$.

strifex said:
If you put set y to 1, then it the first part of my formula is false.
Yes.

If you have a vessel filled with water, the water does not need your permission to escape through some approved hole. If there is a hole, the water will escape. Similarly, a formula $\exists x\,A$ does not accept recommendations about $x$. If there is a single $x$ that makes $A$ true, then $\exists x\,A$ is true. Now, $y=1$ makes $E(x)\land E(y)$ false; therefore, it makes $E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y$ true. Recall the truth table for $\to$, where 1 denotes truth and 0 falsehood.
\[
\begin{array}{c|c|c}
A&B&A\to B\\
\hline
0&0&1\\
\hline
0&1&1\\
\hline
1&0&0\\
\hline
1&1&1
\end{array}
\]
That's it: a single value of $y$ (regardless of $x$) makes $E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y$ true; therefore, $\exists x\,(E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y)$ is true for all $x$; therefore, $\forall x\exists y\,(E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y)$ is true. (I don't put parentheses around $E(x)\land E(y)$ because usually one posits that conjunction binds stronger than implication.)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I am talking about your formula rather than the original statement, and yes, I am taking $y=1$.

Yes.

If you have a vessel filled with water, the water does not need your permission to escape through some approved hole. If there is a hole, the water will escape. Similarly, a formula $\exists x\,A$ does not accept recommendations about $x$. If there is a single $x$ that makes $A$ true, then $\exists x\,A$ is true. Now, $y=1$ makes $E(x)\land E(y)$ false; therefore, it makes $E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y$ true. Recall the truth table for $\to$, where 1 denotes truth and 0 falsehood.
\[
\begin{array}{c|c|c}
A&B&A\to B\\
\hline
0&0&1\\
\hline
0&1&1\\
\hline
1&0&0\\
\hline
1&1&1
\end{array}
\]
That's it: a single value of $y$ (regardless of $x$) makes $E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y$ true; therefore, $\exists x\,(E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y)$ is true for all $x$; therefore, $\forall x\exists y\,(E(x)\land E(y)\to x=2y)$ is true. (I don't put parentheses around $E(x)\land E(y)$ because usually one posits that conjunction binds stronger than implication.)

I see. So I need to make it to where, for example, if x =2 and y = 1, the result would be false? Also, the notation you mention at the end your first comment was a bit confusing, can you please clarify?

strifex said:
So I need to make it to where, for example, if x =2 and y = 1, the result would be false?
It's hard to answer your question because the result should be a formula that does not depend on $x$ and $y$; it should be either true or false. And it should convey the meaning of the original English phrase.

strifex said:
Also, the notation you mention at the end your first comment was a bit confusing, can you please clarify?
Could you describe what exactly is confusing? I used the same notations as you did: quantifiers, $E(x)$, $\land$ and $\to$. By ellipsis I denoted the remaining part of the formula. I meant that if you want to say "All even numbers satisfy a property $P$", then you write $\forall x\,(E(x)\to P(x))$, and if you want to say "There exists an even number that satisfies $P$", then you write $\exists x\,(E(x)\land P(x))$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
It's hard to answer your question because the result should be a formula that does not depend on $x$ and $y$; it should be either true or false. And it should convey the meaning of the original English phrase.

Could you describe what exactly is confusing? I used the same notations as you did: quantifiers, $E(x)$, $\land$ and $\to$. By ellipsis I denoted the remaining part of the formula. I meant that if you want to say "All even numbers satisfy a property $P$", then you write $\forall x\,(E(x)\to P(x))$, and if you want to say "There exists an even number that satisfies $P$", then you write $\exists x\,(E(x)\land P(x))$.

I was referring to the "is even" notation. So, I've seen some write it as such:

∀x∈ℤ, x is even,∀y∈ℤ, y is even, x = 2y.

But I'm still not clear how to write "is even" symbolically.

strifex said:
But I'm still not clear how to write "is even" symbolically.
You can write "$x$ is even" as $\exists y\,x=2y$ if $x$ and $y$ range over integers. But I have not suggested any way to write "$x$ is even" in the previous posts. I followed your example in writing $E(x)$. Writing "$x$ is even" is a slightly different problem from writing the original statement.

It's best not to overquote and to leave only the relevant portion of the previous post.

Related to Converting statements and logic

What is the difference between a statement and a logic?

A statement is a sentence that is either true or false. Logic is a system of reasoning that uses rules and principles to determine the validity of statements.

How do you convert a statement into its logical form?

To convert a statement into its logical form, you need to identify the main logical operators (such as "and", "or", "not") and any sub-statements within the statement. Then, you can use logical symbols (such as "&", "|", "~") to represent these operators and sub-statements in a logical form.

What is the purpose of converting statements into logic?

The purpose of converting statements into logic is to make the statements easier to analyze and evaluate using logical rules and principles. This can help to clarify the meaning of the statement and determine its validity.

What are the common logical fallacies to watch out for when converting statements?

Some common logical fallacies to watch out for when converting statements include affirming the consequent, denying the antecedent, and equivocation. These fallacies can lead to invalid logical forms and inaccurate conclusions.

How can converting statements and logic be applied in scientific research?

In scientific research, converting statements and logic can be used to form hypotheses, design experiments, and analyze data. It can also help to identify any faulty reasoning and ensure that conclusions are based on valid logical forms.