Converting to Spherical Coordinates then integrating? Am I doing this right?

In summary, the given integral can be converted to spherical coordinates by using the equations x=ρsin(phi)cos(θ), y=ρsin(phi)sin(θ), z=ρcos(phi), and x2+y2+z2=ρ2. The integral limits for ρ are 0 to 4cos(phi), for phi are 0 to pi/2, and for θ are 0 to 2*pi.
emzee1
Converting to Spherical Coordinates...then integrating? Am I doing this right?

Homework Statement

Consider the integral ∫∫∫(x2z + y2z + z3) dz dy dx, where the left-most integral is from -2 to 2, the second -√(4-x2) to √(4-x2) and the right-most integral is from 2-√(4-x2-y2) to 2+√(4-x2-y2)

Homework Equations

x=ρsin(phi)cos(θ)
y=ρsin(phi)sin(θ)
z=ρcos(phi)
x2+y2+z22

The Attempt at a Solution

So I need to convert to spherical coordinates. The first 2 integrals describe a region on the xy-plane that's a circle, centered at the origin, with a radius of 2. The distance from the origin I thought was from 0 to 4, as described the right-most integral from above. Then using the equations from above, I converted the integrand:

∫∫∫ρcos(phi)ρ2sin(phi) dρ d(phi) dθ

Left-most integral: 0 to 2*pi
Middle: 0 to pi/2
Right: 0 to 4

Final answer = 2144.67 (which does not feel right)

I'm fairly certain I am correct for the most part, except the right most integral in the spherical-converted integral. Anyone care to check if I did everything correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org

emzee1 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the integral ∫∫∫(x2z + y2z + z3) dz dy dx, where the left-most integral is from -2 to 2, the second -√(4-x2) to √(4-x2) and the right-most integral is from 2-√(4-x2-y2) to 2+√(4-x2-y2)

Homework Equations

x=ρsin(phi)cos(θ)
y=ρsin(phi)sin(θ)
z=ρcos(phi)
x2+y2+z22

The Attempt at a Solution

So I need to convert to spherical coordinates. The first 2 integrals describe a region on the xy-plane that's a circle, centered at the origin, with a radius of 2. The distance from the origin I thought was from 0 to 4, as described the right-most integral from above. Then using the equations from above, I converted the integrand:

∫∫∫ρcos(phi)ρ2sin(phi) dρ d(phi) dθ

Left-most integral: 0 to 2*pi
Middle: 0 to pi/2
Right: 0 to 4

Final answer = 2144.67 (which does not feel right)

I'm fairly certain I am correct for the most part, except the right most integral in the spherical-converted integral. Anyone care to check if I did everything correctly?
Hello emzee1. Welcome to PF !

The volume element in spherical coordinates is [itex]dV=\rho^2\sin(\phi)\,d\rho\,d\phi\,d\theta\ .[/itex]

The integrand: [itex]x^2z+y^2z+z^3=(x^2+y^2+z^2)z \ \to\ \rho^2\left(\rho\cos(\phi)\right)=\rho^3\cos(\phi)\ .[/itex]

Thanks for that SammyS, I guess that was a mental mistake on my part. What about the limits for the integral for the spherical-integral? I don't think I did those correctly...

emzee1 said:
Thanks for that SammyS, I guess that was a mental mistake on my part. What about the limits for the integral for the spherical-integral? I don't think I did those correctly...
Look at the limits of integration for z.

They describe a sphere of radius 2, centered at (x, y, z) = (0, 0, 2) .

Write that equation in spherical coordinates.

So I converted the equation of the sphere:

x2+y2+(z-2)2 = 4

to:

ρ2-4ρcos(phi) = 0

solving for ρ:

ρ= 4cos(phi)

so the integral limits, in terms of dρ: 0 to 4cos(phi) ?
Then the limits of d(phi): 0 to pi/2
And the limits of dθ: 0 to 2*pi?

Does this sound correct?

emzee1 said:
So I converted the equation of the sphere:

x2+y2+(z-2)2 = 4

to:

ρ2-4ρcos(phi) = 0

solving for ρ:

ρ= 4cos(phi)

so the integral limits, in terms of dρ: 0 to 4cos(phi) ?
Then the limits of d(phi): 0 to pi/2
And the limits of dθ: 0 to 2*pi?

Does this sound correct?
That looks better --- correct.

I'm notorious for overlooking details! LOL !

FAQ: Converting to Spherical Coordinates then integrating? Am I doing this right?

1. How do I convert Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), use the following formulas:

r = √(x² + y² + z²)

θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)

φ = cos⁻¹(z/r)

2. What is the purpose of converting to spherical coordinates before integrating?

Converting to spherical coordinates can simplify the integration process and make it easier to integrate functions that have spherical symmetry. It also allows for integration over spherical regions, which is necessary for many physical and scientific applications.

3. How do I know if I am converting to spherical coordinates correctly?

To ensure that you are converting to spherical coordinates correctly, check that the values of r, θ, and φ fall within their respective ranges (r ≥ 0, 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π, 0 ≤ φ ≤ π). Also, double-check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the formulas for converting between Cartesian and spherical coordinates.

4. Can I integrate using spherical coordinates in any direction?

No, integration using spherical coordinates is only valid for integrating over spherical regions. This means that the integration must be done in the radial direction, from the center outwards. Integration in other directions would require a different coordinate system.

5. Are there any special considerations when integrating using spherical coordinates?

Yes, when integrating using spherical coordinates, it is important to remember to include the Jacobian determinant (r²sinφ) in the integral. This is necessary to account for the change in volume element when converting from Cartesian to spherical coordinates.