Converting USD 1 to £ s d in 1927: Formula & Calculation

In summary: Does anyone remember that Agatha Christie wrote a series of mysteries featuring "Tommy and Tuppence" a married couple. I don't believe it was ever explained where the woman got the nickname "Tuppence". One remarkable thing about the series was that, unlike Miss Marple or Inspector Poirot, they aged in "real time". In the first novel, they were young "flappers" in their early twenties. In the last novel, written 50 years later, they were in their 70s with grand children (and she was still called "Tuppence").Thank you for the reminder. I had forgotten all about it.
Hobo5
Sir,
In 1927 the English Pound was USD 4.86. What would be the reverse for $1.00, with the Pound value expressed in £ s d.
Would there be a formula for this conversion?
Thank you for any help you may provide.
Regards,
P.N.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Monetory Values

Hobo5 said:
Sir,
In 1927 the English Pound was USD 4.86. What would be the reverse for $1.00, with the Pound value expressed in £ s d.
Regards,
P.N.

1 £ = 4.86 USD

Divide by 4.86

0.205761317 £ = 1 USD, so 4 shillings and a ha'penny?.

Re: Monetory Values

tkhunny said:
1 £ = 4.86 USD

Divide by 4.86

0.205761317 £ = 1 USD, so 4 shillings and a ha'penny?.

Thank you for your helpful reply.
Have a great day,
P.N.

Hobo5 said:
Sir,
In 1927 the English Pound was USD 4.86.
So to go from English Pounds to USD, you would multiply by 4.86.

What would be the reverse for $1.00, with the Pound value expressed in £ s d.
To reverse that do the reverse of multiplying- divide by 4.86.

Regards,
P.N.

...enough for 1 pound of Yorkshire pudding?

Country Boy said:
So to go from English Pounds to USD, you would multiply by 4.86. To reverse that do the reverse of multiplying- divide by 4.86.
Think about one thing before you decide to multiply or divide. "Will I have more or less when I am done?"

If 4.86 USD = 1 BP, then you must have more USD than BP. If you calculate and get less, you did something wrong.

tkhunny said:
Think about one thing before you decide to multiply or divide. "Will I have more or less when I am done?"

If 4.86 USD = 1 BP, then you must have more USD than BP. If you calculate and get less, you did something wrong.

Thank you again for getting back to me...but can you please explain the four shillings and the ha'penny?
P.N.

- - - Updated - - -

Wilmer said:
...enough for 1 pound of Yorkshire pudding?

Wilmer,
Thank you for your reply...and yes, it should be enough for the pudding!
P.N.

Hobo5 said:
Thank you again for getting back to me...but can you please explain the four shillings and the ha'penny?
P.N.

- - - Updated - - -
Wilmer,
Thank you for your reply...and yes, it should be enough for the pudding!
P.N.
As I said before, Since 1 pound is 4.86 dollars, 1 dollar is 1/4.86 pounds= 0.206 pounds. Now, you need to know that there are 20 shilling in a pounds so 0.206 pounds is 20(0.206)= 4.12 shillings. And there are 12 pence per shilling so 12(0.12)= 1.44 pence. I would say that is closer to 4 shilling two pence than 4 shilling ha'penny (half-penny).

Country Boy said:
As I said before, Since 1 pound is 4.86 dollars, 1 dollar is 1/4.86 pounds= 0.206 pounds. Now, you need to know that there are 20 shilling in a pounds so 0.206 pounds is 20(0.206)= 4.12 shillings. And there are 12 pence per shilling so 12(0.12)= 1.44 pence. I would say that is closer to 4 shilling two pence than 4 shilling ha'penny (half-penny).

Got it.
Thanks again.

Country Boy said:

Fair enough. Let one read up! Understanding old British money - pounds, shillings and pence

I really should have written "tuppence"!

Country Boy said:
I really should have written "tuppence"!
When I started this thread it revolved around 1927. In those days, I guess you could have got something for "tuppence"!
Have a good one,
P.N.

I confess. I falsified my results just so I could say "ha'penny". I mean, how often do you get to say that?!

I think "tuppence" is cooler!

Country Boy said:

O.K., I'll see your "tuppence" and raise you...thruppence! How do you like that, mate?

Country Boy said:

Yup. Cool!

Does anyone (other than me) remember that Agatha Christie wrote a series of mysteries featuring "Tommy and Tuppence" a married couple. I don't believe it was ever explained where the woman got the nickname "Tuppence". One remarkable thing about the series was that, unlike Miss Marple or Inspector Poirot, they aged in "real time". In the first novel, they were young "flappers" in their early twenties. In the last novel, written 50 years later, they were in their 70s with grand children (and she was still called "Tuppence").

Ah, well, back to mathematics.

Related to Converting USD 1 to £ s d in 1927: Formula & Calculation

1. How do I convert USD 1 to £ s d in 1927?

To convert USD 1 to £ s d in 1927, you can use the formula: 1 USD = 0.40 £ s d

2. What is the formula for converting USD 1 to £ s d in 1927?

The formula for converting USD 1 to £ s d in 1927 is: 1 USD = 0.40 £ s d

3. What is the currency exchange rate for USD to £ s d in 1927?

The currency exchange rate for USD to £ s d in 1927 is 0.40.

4. How much is £ s d 1 worth in USD in 1927?

In 1927, £ s d 1 is equivalent to USD 2.50.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate the conversion of USD to £ s d in 1927?

Yes, you can use an online currency converter or a historical currency rate calculator to easily convert USD to £ s d in 1927 without having to manually calculate the conversion.