"Convince yourself" of the lemma - is any work required?

• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, to "convince yourself" of a lemma means to fully understand and believe in its validity through logical reasoning and evidence. It is a necessary step in the scientific process to ensure the accuracy and applicability of the lemma. The amount of work required to convince oneself of a lemma may vary depending on complexity and background knowledge. While someone else can present the proof and evidence for a lemma, it is ultimately up to the individual to convince themselves. To do so effectively, one should have a strong understanding of relevant background knowledge, critically analyze the proof and evidence, consider alternative viewpoints, and be open-minded.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
In the homework statement part (a), it says to "convince yourself" of the given lemma. How do I satisfy this requirement for full credit?
Relevant Equations
Since I see these types of homework prompts often, does this mean that I should prove the given Lemma, or just accept it as true and move onto (b) with no work required by me?
Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 3.35.39 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
'Convince yourself' means 'Prove'.

Likes docnet
pasmith said:
'Convince yourself' means 'Prove'.
that explains why my homework grade was low 🥺

• Haha
Likes PeroK
This is a terrible way to word a homework question.

Likes vela

Related to "Convince yourself" of the lemma - is any work required?

1. What is the purpose of convincing yourself of a lemma?

The purpose of convincing yourself of a lemma is to ensure that you have a solid understanding of the concept and its implications. It also helps to strengthen your reasoning and analytical skills.

2. Is convincing yourself of a lemma necessary?

While it may not be necessary in all cases, convincing yourself of a lemma can greatly enhance your understanding and mastery of a subject. It also helps to build a strong foundation for further research and experimentation.

3. How can one go about convincing themselves of a lemma?

There is no one set method for convincing yourself of a lemma, as it may vary depending on the individual and the specific concept. However, some common approaches include thoroughly studying and analyzing the lemma, seeking out different perspectives and interpretations, and actively engaging with the concept through practice and application.

4. Can convincing yourself of a lemma be a time-consuming process?

Yes, convincing yourself of a lemma can be a time-consuming process. It requires a thorough understanding and examination of the concept, which may take time and effort. However, the benefits of fully comprehending a lemma can outweigh the time and effort invested.

5. Are there any tips for effectively convincing oneself of a lemma?

Some tips for effectively convincing yourself of a lemma include breaking down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking out different resources and perspectives, and actively engaging with the concept through practice and discussion. It can also be helpful to approach the lemma with an open and curious mindset, and to ask questions and seek clarification when needed.

Back