Convolution of Time Distributions

In summary, Dale explains that if you define τ=t+tτ=t+t\tau = t + t, then you will get a new distribution that is a convolution of the original two distributions. He also suggests that you can combine time distributions for different processes that each have N1 or N2 convolutions. Alternatively, you can Fourier transform the data and then multiply the results.
SSGD
I need some help to make sure my reasoning is correct. Bear with me please.

I have a time distribution for a process and I want to construct a distribution for the time it takes to perform two processes. So I would define

##\tau = t + t##

This would create a new distribution with is a convolution of the process performed twice.

##P(\tau) = P(t)*P(t)##

Now could I do the same for performing the process N times

##\tau = t + t + ... + t = Nt##

##P(\tau) = P(t)*P(t)*...*P(t)##

Could the N convolutions be performed with a change of variables instead

##P(\tau) = P(t)\frac{dt}{d\tau}##

##P(\tau) = P(\frac{\tau}{N})\frac{1}{N}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the above is correct could I also combine time distributions for different process that each had N1 or N2 convolutions.

##z = \tau_1+\tau_2=N_1t_1+N_2t_2##

##P(z) = P_1(\tau_1)*P_2(\tau_2)=\frac{1}{N_1}P_1(\frac{z}{N_1})*\frac{1}{N_2}P_2(\frac{z}{N_2})##

SSGD said:
I have a time distribution for a process and I want to construct a distribution for the time it takes to perform two processes. So I would define

τ=t+tτ=t+t\tau = t + t

This would create a new distribution with is a convolution of the process performed twice.
Is that correct. I know that you could form a joint distribution and then project the joint distribution down onto lines of constant sum, but I didn't know that would give the same result as a convolution. If it does, then that is convenient.

SSGD said:
Assuming the above is correct could I also combine time distributions for different process that each had N1 or N2 convolutions
Or you could take the Fourier transform and multiply. That would be my approach.

Dale you that is a great idea! I didn't even think about the convolution being a product in the transformed domain. When I get a chance I'm going to do the transforms on a few different distributions and see if the above ideas work out for convolution and change of variables. Thanks.

Related to Convolution of Time Distributions

What is convolution of time distributions?

Convolution of time distributions is a mathematical operation used in signal processing and statistics to combine two functions into a third function that represents the magnitude of overlap between the two original functions. It is used to analyze the relationship between two signals or to extract information from noisy signals.

How is convolution of time distributions calculated?

Convolution of time distributions is calculated by multiplying one function by the time-reversed and shifted version of the other function, and then integrating the product over all possible values of the shift. This process is repeated for every time point, resulting in a new function that represents the overlap between the two original functions at each time point.

What are the applications of convolution of time distributions?

Convolution of time distributions has many applications in various fields, including signal processing, image processing, audio processing, and statistics. It is used to filter, deconvolve, and cross-correlate signals, as well as to model and analyze complex systems and processes.

What are the limitations of convolution of time distributions?

Convolution of time distributions assumes that the signals being convolved are linear and time-invariant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It can also be computationally expensive, especially for large datasets or complex functions.

How does convolution of time distributions differ from convolution of frequency distributions?

Convolution of time distributions operates on signals in the time domain, while convolution of frequency distributions operates on signals in the frequency domain. While convolution in the time domain is used for signal processing and analysis, convolution in the frequency domain is used for filtering and spectral analysis.