Convolution (Possibly using Fourier transform)

In summary, the problem involves finding a function u that satisfies the integral equation ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty u(x-y)e^{-|y|}dy=e^{-x^4}##. The equations used in the attempt to solve the problem include the Fourier transform of convolution, ##\mathscr{F} (f*g)(x) \to \hat f(\xi ) \hat g(\xi )##, the Fourier transform of ##e^{-a|x|}##, ##\mathscr{F} e^{-a|x|} \to 2a(\xi² +a^2)^{-1}##, and Plancherel's Theorem. Two options were explored, one
Incand

Homework Statement

Find a function ##u## such that
##\int_{-\infty}^\infty u(x-y)e^{-|y|}dy=e^{-x^4}##.

Homework Equations

Not really sure how to approach this but here's a few of the formulas I tried to use.
Fourier transform of convolution
##\mathscr{F} (f*g)(x) \to \hat f(\xi ) \hat g(\xi )##.
##\mathscr{F} e^{-a|x|} \to 2a(\xi² +a^2)^{-1}##
Plancherel's Theorem
If ##f,g \in L^2## then
##\langle \hat f,\hat g \rangle = 2\pi \langle f, g \rangle##.

The Attempt at a Solution

The left side is the convolution ##u*(e^{-|x|}## Taking the Fourier transform I have
##\hat u2(\xi^2+1)^{-1}= \mathscr{F}(e^{-x^4})##.
Which I don't know the Fourier transform of nor how to calculate the inverse.

I also tried to somehow look at the integral as a scalar product and use Plancherel's formula but that didn't work at all. Any ideas on how I should approach the problem? I don't even know if I should use the Fourier transform for this, the problem was just grouped with other exercises on Fourier transforms.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fourier transform of ##e^{-x^4}## is often written as ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^4}e^{-2\pi i x \xi } dx ## and the inverse operation for ##\hat u(\xi)## would be
##u(x) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \hat u(x) e^{2\pi i x \xi } d\xi ##.
But how does this help you?
You have
## \hat u(\xi) \mathcal{F}(e^{-|x|}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^4}e^{-2\pi i x \xi } dx##
Which might be written as
##\frac{2}{\xi ^2 + 1} \left( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} u(x)e^{-2\pi i x \xi } dx\right) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^4}e^{-2\pi i x \xi } dx##
Since the integral is not a function of xi, you can pass that variable inside the integral of u.
Option 1:
##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{2}{\xi ^2 + 1} u(x)e^{-2\pi i x \xi } dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^4}e^{-2\pi i x \xi } dx##
Try to make the left side match the right side. (this might be challenging since u(x) would be defined as a function of xi as well.

Option 2: move the ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{\xi ^2 + 1}## to the other side to get:
##2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} u(x)e^{-2\pi i x \xi } dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}( \xi ^2 + 1) e^{-x^4}e^{-2\pi i x \xi } dx##
Then take the inverse Fourier transform of both sides to see what happens.

Likes Incand
I'm going to use ##\hat f(\xi ) = \int f(x)e^{-i\xi x} dx ## and ##f(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int \hat f(\xi)e^{i\xi x}d \xi## since I'm more used to these definitions (I just end up with the ##2\pi## in other places like in the plancherel theorem above.)
I tried option 2 so I have
##2 u(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \left( \int_{-\infty}^\infty (\xi^2+1)e^{-x^4}e^{-i\xi x} dx \right) e^{i \xi x} d\xi ##
Which looks promising until I discover I can't change order of integration since I have a divergent inner integral if the ##e^{i\xi x}## terms cancel each other. But I could write it as
##4\pi u(x) = \iint_{\mathbf R^2} (\xi^2+1)e^{-x^4}dxd\xi##. I tried revisiting my multivariable calculus book but apparently since the integrand doesn't change sign I'm indeed allowed to treat it as two iterated integrals and therefore the integral is divergent? Did I mess up?

For option 1 I don't really see how to go about it I still end up with a very hard integral It looks like. I mean if ##u(x) = \frac{\xi^2+1}{2}e^{-x^4}## that solves it but I don't how getting those ##\xi## into ##x## is anything but the problem I already have.

Incand said:
I'm going to use ##\hat f(\xi ) = \int f(x)e^{-i\xi x} dx ## and ##f(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int \hat f(\xi)e^{i\xi x}d \xi## since I'm more used to these definitions (I just end up with the ##2\pi## in other places like in the plancherel theorem above.)
I tried option 2 so I have
##2 u(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \left( \int_{-\infty}^\infty (\xi^2+1)e^{-x^4}e^{-i\xi x} dx \right) e^{i \xi x} d\xi ##
Which looks promising until I discover I can't change order of integration since I have a divergent inner integral if the ##e^{i\xi x}## terms cancel each other.
The x inside the first integral is not the same as the x outside the integral. You can change the first x (dx) to z to make it clear.

Likes Incand
RUber said:
The x inside the first integral is not the same as the x outside the integral. You can change the first x (dx) to z to make it clear.
Alright but I still get a divergent integral here anyway. However I think I have another idea on how too solve it by using differentiation.

Differentiating a convolution we have ##(f*g)' = f'*g=f*g')## so in our case we have
##u(x)*e^{-|x|} = e^{-x^4}## Differentiate
##-u(x)*\text{sgn} (x) e^{-|x|} = -4x^3e^{-x^4}## and again (The derivative of ##\text{sgn}(x)## at ##x=0## being a dirac spike actually works too our advantage!)
##u(x)*(-2\delta(x) +e^{-|x|} = (-12x^2+16x^6)e^{-x^4}##.
Using the linearity of Convolution we have
##2u(x)*\delta(x) = (1+12e^2-16e^6)e^{-x^4} \Longrightarrow u(x) = \frac{(1+12e^2-16e^6)e^{-x^4}}{2}##
Which is the correct answer! In a way I cheated coming up with this since I looked at the answer(which you didn't have access too) which looked very much like derivatives so I tried that. But really thanks for your help, always helps the thinking having someone to discuss it with!
I also misled us both thinking I should use the Fourier transform however I believe integral equations of this type (renewal equations) are quite often solved using the Fourier or Laplace transforms!

Nice solve.

Related to Convolution (Possibly using Fourier transform)

1. What is convolution and why is it important in science?

Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is important in science because it allows us to analyze the effects of one function on another, such as in signal processing and image filtering.

2. How is convolution related to the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool that decomposes a function into its frequency components. Convolution can be thought of as a multiplication in the frequency domain, making it a useful tool in analyzing signals and images in the frequency domain.

3. What is the difference between continuous and discrete convolution?

Continuous convolution is used for continuous functions, while discrete convolution is used for discrete functions. In continuous convolution, the functions are integrated over a continuous range, while in discrete convolution, the functions are summed over a discrete range.

4. Can convolution be used for data smoothing and noise reduction?

Yes, convolution can be used for data smoothing and noise reduction by convolving a signal or image with a smoothing or low-pass filter. This can help to remove high-frequency noise and produce a smoother signal or image.

5. Are there any limitations to using convolution in scientific analysis?

One limitation of convolution is that it assumes linear and time-invariant systems, which may not always be true in real-world scenarios. Additionally, convolution can be computationally expensive and may not be suitable for real-time applications.