Convolution with Complex-Valued Functions: Applications and Limitations

In summary, the convolution of two vector valued functions can have a few applications in signal and image processing, but there are many more examples that could be discussed.
mnb96
Hello,

given two functions f and g the operation of convolution [itex]f\ast g[/itex] finds many applications in many different branches of science. However, in such applications, it is typically assumed that one of the two functions (the convolution kernel) is a real scalar field, although the mathematical definition does not impose such constraint.

My question is: does the convolution of, say, two complex-valued functions has any known application? For instance when f,g are of the kind:
[itex]f:\mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/itex], and
[itex]g:\mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/itex] ?

Note that such functions could represent, for instance, vector fields on the Cartesian plane.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, complex valued functions are used all the time in signal and image processing. These days the domain is usually discrete since most things are digital, but even for that case it is often useful to do analytical modelling in the continuous domain.

jason

EDIT: should have specified more, perhaps. for complex valued signals/images, one method of detecting known patterns (including phase) is to use a matched filter, which is a complex valued filter, so both the signal/image and the filter are complex. The matched filter is in some sense "optimal" for white Gaussian noise interference. These are used a lot in communications systems, image formation, etc.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
thanks jason,

in fact, it seems the only application I can find is the one where one wants to match a complex signal within another complex signal.

I expected also some physical application, perhaps in fluid mechanics or in other branches of physics, where vector fields are extensively used; but so far I haven't found anything related to convolutions between vector valued functions (i.e. convolution of vector fields).

One application in fluid mechanics is in spectral energy transfers, e.g., triad interactions. The energy transfer integral (which arises from the advection term in the equations of motion) is often expressed as an integral over wave vector space, e.g. [itex]S(\mathbf{k}) = \int d^3 k_1 \int d^3 k_2 \; A(\mathbf{k}_1) \, B(\mathbf{k}_2) \, \Gamma(\mathbf{k}, \mathbf{k}_1, \mathbf{k}_2) \ldots \delta(\mathbf{k}-\mathbf{k}_1-\mathbf{k}_2)[/itex]
where [itex](\mathbf{k}, \mathbf{k}_1, \mathbf{k}_2)[/itex] are 3-d wave vectors, [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is a (scalar) interaction cross-section, and the Dirac delta functions express the resonance condition [itex]\mathbf{k} = \mathbf{k}_1 + \mathbf{k}_2[/itex]. In this case the double integral can be rewritten as a convolution using the fact [itex]\mathbf{k}_2 = \mathbf{k} - \mathbf{k}_1[/itex]; this can be very useful for evaluating the integrals. If one is dealing with definite phases (instead of assuming random phase) or vector quantities (like velocity) then the integrands can also be complex- or vector-valued.

I think you can come up with more examples just by thinking of any other situations where we deal with products of transforms...

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks olivermsun,

I was not aware of that kind of application. Your observation essentially answers my original question, although I am not familiar at all with the concepts that you mentioned in your response.

At this point I am wondering if there is any application of convolution between vector valued functions that could be more easily visualized. More or less like the case of convolution to simulate heat diffusion over time.

Related to Convolution with Complex-Valued Functions: Applications and Limitations

1. What is convolution and how is it used in science?

Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. In science, it is commonly used to analyze signals or images, as it can help identify patterns and features within the data.

2. What are the key components of a convolution operation?

The key components of a convolution operation are the input function, the kernel or filter, and the output function. The input function is the data being analyzed, the kernel is the function used to extract features from the input, and the output function is the result of the convolution.

3. How does convolution differ from correlation?

Convolution and correlation are similar operations, but they differ in the way the kernel is applied. In convolution, the kernel is flipped before being applied to the input, while in correlation, the kernel remains the same. This means that convolution can detect patterns regardless of their orientation, while correlation is sensitive to the orientation of the pattern.

4. What are some common applications of convolution in science?

Convolution has many applications in science, including image and signal processing, computer vision, and natural language processing. It is also used in fields such as physics, biology, and engineering to analyze and interpret data.

5. Can convolution be applied to non-numerical data?

Yes, convolution can be applied to non-numerical data, as long as the data can be represented as a function or a sequence. For example, it can be used to analyze text by representing each word as a function and using a kernel to identify patterns in the text.

Back