Cooking saltpeter+sugar rocket fuel?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding information on making saltpeter and sugar rocket propellant, as well as the potential dangers and precautions that should be taken when working with these chemicals. The person is hesitant to follow internet instructions and seeks guidance from someone with knowledge and experience in this area. The conversation also mentions a tragic incident involving two high school students attempting to make rocket fuel in their fireplace, resulting in one death and severe injuries.
Artlav
Is there some place with good information on saltpeter+sugar rocket propellant and it's making?

The problem is, there are a lot of places on the internet telling how to do it right, but next to none on how to do it wrong, and I'm not brave enough to follow someone's instructions without understanding what's going on.

What temperature it can ignite at?
What could go very wrong and how it looks before that?
Any way to extinguish it should it ignite?
Is it susceptible to detonation, friction ignition, sudden self-ignition?
Is there any common substances it will violently react with?
Etc?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Artlav said:
... and I'm not brave enough to follow someone's instructions without understanding what's going on.

You want instructions from us?

You are going to heat an oxidant with a fuel. Expect some effects.

You are going to heat two chemicals that could explode or if ignited will continue to burn until they have exhausted themselves. Unless you want a new address with 17 different zip codes I would highly recommend that you get help from someone who knows exactly what to do. By that I don't mean instructions from the internet, I mean hands on from someone who knows.

I remember way back in the 70s in Great Falls, Montana two high school students were cooking up some rocket fuel in the fireplace of one of their homes. The result was 1 dead, 1 severely burned and the home destroyed.

Thread locked per the PF rules.

Related to Cooking saltpeter+sugar rocket fuel?

1. What is cooking saltpeter and sugar rocket fuel?

Cooking saltpeter and sugar rocket fuel is a type of homemade rocket propellant that is made by mixing potassium nitrate (saltpeter) and sugar together. It is often used in amateur rocketry and can produce a high amount of thrust.

2. How is cooking saltpeter and sugar rocket fuel made?

To make cooking saltpeter and sugar rocket fuel, you will need to mix together potassium nitrate (saltpeter) and sugar in a specific ratio. The most common ratio is 65% potassium nitrate and 35% sugar by weight. The ingredients are then melted together and allowed to cool and harden before use.

3. Is cooking saltpeter and sugar rocket fuel safe?

No, cooking saltpeter and sugar rocket fuel is not considered safe. The ingredients used to make this type of rocket fuel can be hazardous and should only be handled by experienced individuals with proper safety precautions in place. It is important to follow proper guidelines and safety measures when working with any type of rocket fuel.

4. How powerful is cooking saltpeter and sugar rocket fuel?

Cooking saltpeter and sugar rocket fuel can generate a high amount of thrust, making it a popular choice for amateur rocket enthusiasts. However, the power of the rocket fuel depends on the specific ingredients used and the ratio in which they are mixed. It is important to carefully measure and mix the ingredients to achieve the desired power and thrust.

5. Can cooking saltpeter and sugar rocket fuel be used in any type of rocket?

Cooking saltpeter and sugar rocket fuel can be used in small, amateur rockets. However, it may not be suitable for larger or more complex rockets. It is important to consult with a professional or experienced individual before using this type of rocket fuel in any rocket project.