Cooling & Heating Load Calcs for Passive Chilled Beam Systems in Hotels

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of calculating cooling and heating load calculations for a hotel using passive chilled beam systems with HAP. The speaker requests highlights of the calculation procedure and potential differences from load calculations for other systems. The responder mentions that the software used may not be important, as the important factors for load calculations are dependent on the system and building design, such as deciding dew point and supply air and water temperature.
tj00343
Hello,
I was tasked with calculating the cooling and heating load calculations for a hotel which employs passive chilled beam systems using HAP. Can someone please provide me with the highlights of the calculation procedure and things to watch out for, especially things that differ from load calculations for other systems. I am familiar with HAP and load calculations for systems such as split systems, chilled water fan coils systems.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, I don't use HAP (at least not that I can remember), but the things that matter for load cals aren't really software dependent, they are system and building dependent, and those are decisions that software can't really make for you. For passive chilled beam you basically have two separate systems to design and need to decide things like dew point and supply air and water temperature. That's really what is critical for chilled beam.

Related to Cooling & Heating Load Calcs for Passive Chilled Beam Systems in Hotels

1. What is a passive chilled beam system?

A passive chilled beam system is a type of heating and cooling system that uses chilled water to passively cool a space through natural convection. It does not require any mechanical components, such as fans or pumps, to operate.

2. How does a passive chilled beam system work?

In a passive chilled beam system, chilled water is circulated through a network of pipes embedded in the ceiling or walls of a building. As the chilled water travels through the pipes, it cools the surrounding air through convection. The cooled air then sinks and is replaced by warmer air, creating a natural cycle of cool air distribution.

3. What are the benefits of using a passive chilled beam system in hotels?

Passive chilled beam systems are energy efficient, quiet, and provide consistent temperatures throughout a building. They also require minimal maintenance and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional heating and cooling systems. In hotels, they can also help improve indoor air quality and allow for more flexibility in room design.

4. How are cooling and heating loads calculated for passive chilled beam systems?

Cooling and heating loads for passive chilled beam systems are calculated by taking into account factors such as the building's location, orientation, insulation, and occupancy. Computer simulations and energy modeling software are often used to accurately determine the cooling and heating requirements for a specific building.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a passive chilled beam system in hotels?

One limitation of passive chilled beam systems is that they may not be suitable for all climates. They are most effective in mild to moderate climates, as extreme temperatures can make it difficult to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature. Additionally, they may not be as effective in large open spaces or buildings with high ceilings.