Coordinate vector basis proving question

In summary, the set {[v1]s,[v2]s,...[vn]s} is a basis for Rn because it spans Rn and is linearly independent. This can be proven using the definitions and concepts of basis and coordinate vectors.
gtse

Homework Statement

Let S = {v1,v2,...,vn} be a basis for an n-dimensional vector space V. Show that {[v1]s,[v2]s,...[vn]s} is a basis for Rn.
Here [v]s means the coordinate vector with respect to the basis S.

Homework Equations

[v]s is the coordinate vector with respect to the basis S.

The Attempt at a Solution

S={v1..vn} is a basis and must be linearly independent.
Any vector v in S then is a unique linear combination of the vectors in S, so v=a1v1+a2v2+...+anvn.
Since [v]s in general = (a1,a2,...an), then every [vi]s where i = 1 .. n has a unique (a1,a2,...,an) and so the basis {[v1]s,...,[v2]s} will be linearly independent and thus form a basis for Rn.

I have no answers to verify with, so I would like to know if I have answered it correctly. I am extremely weak with anything to do with proving so any assistance would be greatly appreciated, :).

Physics news on Phys.org

I would approach this problem by first understanding the definitions and concepts involved. A basis for a vector space is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire space. This means that any vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

Next, I would consider the concept of coordinate vectors with respect to a basis. This means that for any vector v in the vector space, [v]s represents the unique set of coordinates that describe v with respect to the basis S.

Now, let's look at the set {[v1]s,[v2]s,...[vn]s}. This set contains the coordinate vectors of the basis vectors v1, v2, ..., vn with respect to the basis S. Since S is a basis for V, this means that any vector in V can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors (i.e. v=a1v1+a2v2+...+anvn). And since [v]s represents the coordinates of v with respect to S, this means that [v]s can also be written as a linear combination of [v1]s, [v2]s, ..., [vn]s.

Therefore, the set {[v1]s,[v2]s,...[vn]s} spans Rn, since any vector in Rn can be written as a linear combination of these coordinate vectors. And since these coordinate vectors are also linearly independent (since S is linearly independent), this set forms a basis for Rn.

In conclusion, the set {[v1]s,[v2]s,...[vn]s} is a basis for Rn because it spans Rn and is linearly independent. This can be proven by using the definitions and concepts of basis and coordinate vectors.

Related to Coordinate vector basis proving question

1. What is a coordinate vector basis?

A coordinate vector basis is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a vector space by expressing it as a linear combination of the basis vectors. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to simplify vector calculations.

2. How do you prove that a set of vectors is a coordinate vector basis?

To prove that a set of vectors is a coordinate vector basis, you must show that the vectors are linearly independent and span the entire vector space. This means that no vector in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors, and that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

3. Why is it important to have a coordinate vector basis?

A coordinate vector basis is important because it allows us to easily represent and manipulate vectors in a vector space. It simplifies vector calculations and makes it easier to solve problems in linear algebra. Additionally, having a coordinate vector basis allows us to define coordinate systems and make precise measurements in mathematics, physics, and other scientific fields.

4. Can a set of vectors be a coordinate vector basis in more than one dimension?

Yes, a set of vectors can be a coordinate vector basis in more than one dimension. The dimension of a coordinate vector basis is determined by the number of basis vectors in the set. For example, a set of three linearly independent vectors can form a coordinate vector basis in a three-dimensional vector space.

5. How is a coordinate vector basis different from a standard basis?

A standard basis is a specific type of coordinate vector basis where the basis vectors have a length of 1 and are aligned with the coordinate axes. In contrast, a coordinate vector basis can have any set of linearly independent vectors as its basis vectors, and they do not necessarily have to align with the coordinate axes.