Coordinates of a point that touches the ellipsoid

In summary: Simplifying, we get: x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 14 Substituting in the equation of the ellipsoid, we get: 14 = x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 + z^2/c^2 Rearranging, we get the equation of the ellipsoid for point P: x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 + z^2/c^2 = 14 In summary, to find the coordinates of point
ppmko
Homework Statement

I have an ellipsoid with center (000). There is a point A inside the ellipsoid with known coordinates(1,2,3) I draw a line from center to point A and extend it to cut the ellipsoid on on point p(x,y,z).

2. Homework Equations

I want to find the coordinates of point P(x,y,z)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The equation of ellipsoid for p is x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2+z^2/c^2=1
i have the values of a,b and c
i want to know if the ellipsoid equation is applicable to coordinates of A and coordinates of P

and how can i create equation using the coordinates of p with the coordinates of A
by equation of line method as both the points lie on a straight line with one end on (000) as the third point.

Physics news on Phys.org

Firstly, you can use the equation of the line to find the coordinates of point P. The equation of the line can be written as:

x = x0 + at
y = y0 + bt
z = z0 + ct

Where (x0, y0, z0) is the center of the ellipsoid (000) and (a, b, c) is the direction vector from the center to point A.

Substituting the known values, we get:

x = 0 + 1t = t
y = 0 + 2t = 2t
z = 0 + 3t = 3t

Now, we can substitute these values into the equation of the ellipsoid to find the coordinates of point P.

(t)^2/a^2 + (2t)^2/b^2 + (3t)^2/c^2 = 1

Simplifying, we get:

t^2 (1/a^2 + 4/b^2 + 9/c^2) = 1

Therefore, t = ± 1/√(1/a^2 + 4/b^2 + 9/c^2)

Substituting this value of t back into the equations for x, y, and z, we get the coordinates for point P:

x = ± 1/√(1/a^2 + 4/b^2 + 9/c^2)
y = ± 2/√(1/a^2 + 4/b^2 + 9/c^2)
z = ± 3/√(1/a^2 + 4/b^2 + 9/c^2)

Therefore, the coordinates of point P are: (± 1/√(1/a^2 + 4/b^2 + 9/c^2), ± 2/√(1/a^2 + 4/b^2 + 9/c^2), ± 3/√(1/a^2 + 4/b^2 + 9/c^2)).

You can also use the distance formula to find the coordinates of point P. The distance from the center (000) to point P is equal to the distance from the center (000) to point A.

Therefore, (x - 0)^2 + (y

Related to Coordinates of a point that touches the ellipsoid

What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a flattened sphere. It is characterized by three axes of different lengths, with the shortest being the polar axis and the longest being the equatorial axis.

How are coordinates of a point on an ellipsoid determined?

The coordinates of a point on an ellipsoid are determined by its latitude, longitude, and height above or below the surface. This is also known as geodetic coordinates.

What is the significance of coordinates on an ellipsoid?

Coordinates on an ellipsoid are important in geodesy, which is the study of the Earth's shape, size, and gravity field. They are used to accurately measure and map locations on the Earth's surface.

How are coordinates of a point that touches the ellipsoid calculated?

The coordinates of a point that touches the ellipsoid are calculated using a mathematical model called the geodetic datum. This model takes into account the Earth's shape and its irregularities to determine the exact location of a point.

What is the purpose of using coordinates on an ellipsoid?

Using coordinates on an ellipsoid allows for precise and accurate measurements of locations on the Earth's surface. This is important in a variety of fields, including navigation, surveying, and mapping.