Cornell vs. UC Berkeley for Engineering Physics

minalogy
I was very fortunate to get into both Cornell (with the Meinig Scholarship) and Berkeley (with the Regents Scholarship) and have the difficult decision of choosing between the two.
While I know Berkeley is known for its engineering and physics programs, Cornell is apparently strong in that field and its environment feels a lot safer.
If anyone can give insight or anything else, it would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Feynman left Cornell and went to CA because of the miserable winters in Ithaca. That should tell you something :smile:

Likes berkeman
Congrats on your very impressive scholarship offers. :smile:

To the point by @phinds -- have you visited both campuses? Have you visited them in the winter?

Full disclosure -- I went from my undergrad at UCDavis in NorCal to my graduate MSEE year in Michigan under scholarship, and was able to layer up to deal with the winters... :smile:

Berkeley is in a major metropolitan area. Hop on the BART and you can be in San Francisco in no time. Cornell...um...is not.

The crime rate in Berkeley is 35% higher than Ithaca. Is that significant? Maybe. It certainly has more homeless, and it certainly has more demonstrations that are, as they say, "mostly peaceful".

Academically, both are excellent.

Likes berkeman
Look into housing availability and cost. The Bay Area is difficult in that regard. It's a great place to live, but everyone else wants to live there too.
Academically, I don't think it matters. They are both great schools.

Likes gwnorth