Corollaries of Lagrange's Theorm

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
In summary: So if you're looking for cyclic subgroups of order ##d##, you might start by looking for prime divisors of ##d##.In summary, Lagrange's theorem states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the group it is a part of. This leads to two corollaries: first, that if g is an element of a finite group G, then the order of g must divide the order of G. Second, if p is a prime, then every group of order p is cyclic. The proof for both corollaries relies on the existence of a cyclic subgroup <g>, which is always a subgroup of G. However, not every divisor of the order of G will necessarily have a corresponding subgroup
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Not a homework question actually. I'm having trouble understanding some of the corollaries to Lagrange's theorem.

Theorem: Let H b e a subgroup of a finite group G. then |H| divides |G|

Corollary 1: if g is an element of a finite group G, then |g| divides |G|.
proof: the cyclic subgroup |H| = <g> generated by g has |H| = |g|.
question: how do we know such a cyclic subgroup H exists as required by the proof?

Corollary 2: If p is a prime, then every group G of order p is prime.
proof: write H = <g>. Then |H| divides |G| so |H| is 1 or |H| = p = |G|.
question: Again, how do we know that such a cyclic subgroup H exists in the first place?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
Corollary 1: if g is an element of a finite group G, then |g| divides |G|.
proof: the cyclic subgroup |H| = <g> generated by g has |H| = |g|.
question: how do we know such a cyclic subgroup H exists as required by the proof?
What is your definition of <g>?

Corollary 2: If p is a prime, then every group G of order p is prime.
I assume you mean "is cyclic".
proof: write H = <g>. Then |H| divides |G| so |H| is 1 or |H| = p = |G|.
question: Again, how do we know that such a cyclic subgroup H exists in the first place?
Same question as above: what is your definition of <g>?

Likes 1 person
<g> is defined a subgroup of G where g is an element of G and all the elements of <g> are {1, g, g^2, g^3, g^(n-1} where |G| = n. I believe.

Yes I meant to say "is cyclic" not "is prime" my bad.

PsychonautQQ said:
<g> is defined a subgroup of G where g is an element of G
So far so good.
and all the elements of <g> are {1, g, g^2, g^3, g^(n-1} where |G| = n. I believe.
##|G| = n## is only true if ##G## is cyclic (and finite), and ##g## is a generator for ##G##. More generally, ##\langle g\rangle## might be a proper cyclic subgroup of ##G##. However, the key is that it's a subgroup. So what does Lagrange's theorem tell you about the size of ##\langle g\rangle##?

so this corollary only works if G is cyclic thus has a cyclic subgroup? or this corollary only works assuming there is a cyclic subgroup <g> of G? I feel like something is being assumed that the corollary statement didn't outright state.

PsychonautQQ said:
so this corollary only works if G is cyclic thus has a cyclic subgroup? or this corollary only works assuming there is a cyclic subgroup <g> of G? I feel like something is being assumed that the corollary statement didn't outright state.
##\langle g \rangle## is always a cyclic subgroup, even if ##G## is not.

so every group has cyclic subgroups... I guess that's obvious now that I think about it. thanks a ton man, I'm new to this stuff X_X

PsychonautQQ said:
so every group has cyclic subgroups... I guess that's obvious now that I think about it. thanks a ton man, I'm new to this stuff X_X
Yes, that's right. Every element ##g## generates a cyclic subgroup ##\langle g \rangle##, but not necessarily distinct subgroups - some elements might generate the same subgroup. (For example, ##\langle g \rangle = \langle g^{-1} \rangle##.)

Since ##\langle g \rangle## is a subgroup, Lagrange's theorem constrains its size to be a divisor of ##|G|##.

The converse is not true in general: if ##d## is a divisor of ##|G|##, there isn't necessarily a subgroup (cyclic or not) of order ##d##.

However, pretty soon you will probably learn Cauchy's theorem, which says that if ##p## is any prime divisor of ##|G|##, then ##G## has a cyclic subgroup of order ##p##.

Last edited:

Related to Corollaries of Lagrange's Theorm

1. What is Lagrange's Theorem?

Lagrange's Theorem, also known as the Mean Value Theorem, states that for a continuous function f(x) on the closed interval [a, b], there exists at least one point c in the open interval (a, b) such that the derivative of f at c is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the points (a, f(a)) and (b, f(b)). In other words, it guarantees the existence of a tangent line with the same slope as the secant line on the interval [a, b].

2. What are the corollaries of Lagrange's Theorem?

There are several corollaries of Lagrange's Theorem, including the Intermediate Value Theorem, Rolle's Theorem, and the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals. These corollaries are derived from the same principles as Lagrange's Theorem and have important applications in calculus and real analysis.

3. How is Lagrange's Theorem used in calculus?

Lagrange's Theorem is used in calculus to prove important results such as the existence of maxima and minima for a function on a closed interval, as well as the existence of solutions to differential equations. It is also used to prove other theorems, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. Can Lagrange's Theorem be applied to all functions?

Lagrange's Theorem can be applied to most continuous functions, as long as they satisfy the conditions of the theorem. This means that the function must be continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval between the endpoints of the closed interval.

5. What is the significance of Lagrange's Theorem in mathematics?

Lagrange's Theorem is a fundamental result in calculus that has many important applications in mathematics and other fields such as physics and economics. It provides a powerful tool for proving the existence of solutions and establishing important properties of functions. Additionally, its corollaries have wide-ranging applications in various areas of mathematics.