Correcting Solutions for Euler's Equation with Kronecker Delta Function

In summary, Euler's equation is a mathematical equation that can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration by parts. It is used in calculus of variations to find the function that minimizes a given functional and has applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is closely related to Newton's second law of motion and can be solved analytically in some cases. Solving Euler's equation has practical applications in mechanics, fluid dynamics, control theory, and economics, as well as theoretical applications in mathematical physics and calculus of variations.
Precursor
How do I solve the following Euler's equation:

[tex]r^2 B_n'' + r B_n' - n^2 B_n = 3 \delta_{n1} r^2[/tex]

Such that the solution is:

[tex]B_n(r) = \beta_n r^n + \delta_{n1}r^2, \forall n \ge 1[/tex]

where βn is a free coefficient, δ is the Kronecker delta function, and the solutions unbounded at r=0 are discarded.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Precursor said:
How do I solve the following Euler's equation:

[tex]r^2 B_n'' + r B_n' - n^2 B_n = 3 \delta_{n1} r^2[/tex]

Such that the solution is:

[tex]B_n(r) = \beta_n r^n + \delta_{n1}r^2, \forall n \ge 1[/tex]

where [itex]\beta_{n}[/itex] is a free coefficient, [itex]\delta[/itex] is the Kronecker delta function, and the solutions unbounded at [itex]r = 0[/itex] are discarded.

You try to solve the differential equation for different values of n. n=1 is obviously different from all other n. The trick for an equation in this form is to use a trial function of the form ##B_n(r)=Cr^k## and solve for k.

Last edited:
Is the [itex]\delta_{n1}r^2[/itex] obtained in the solution by linearity? And why is the coefficient '3' not in front?

Precursor said:
Is the [itex]\delta_{n1}r^2[/itex] obtained in the solution by linearity? And why is the coefficient '3' not in front?

I'm not sure what you are asking. The case n=1 is different from the other values of n because then the right side is 3r^2. If n is not 1 then the right side is 0. That's what the Kronecker delta does. They are two different cases. Solve them separately.

Last edited:
I've followed your steps, but when I'm solving the case for n = 1, I get [itex]B_{1} = \beta_{1}r + r^{2}[/itex]. Shouldn't it only be [itex]r^{2}[/itex]?

Precursor said:
I've followed your steps, but when I'm solving the case for n = 1, I get [itex]B_{1} = \beta_{1}r + r^{2}[/itex]. Shouldn't it only be [itex]r^{2}[/itex]?

Yes, it should. You have to put ##\beta_{1}=0## in that case. The problem statement is sloppy.

Related to Correcting Solutions for Euler's Equation with Kronecker Delta Function

1. How do you solve Euler's equation?

Euler's equation can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration by parts. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the variables involved.

2. What is Euler's equation used for?

Euler's equation, also known as the Euler-Lagrange equation, is used in calculus of variations to find the function that minimizes a given functional. It has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What is the relationship between Euler's equation and Newton's second law?

Euler's equation is closely related to Newton's second law of motion. In fact, when applied to a conservative system, it reduces to Newton's second law. However, Euler's equation is more general and can be applied to non-conservative systems as well.

4. Can Euler's equation be solved analytically?

Yes, in some cases Euler's equation can be solved analytically, meaning that an exact solution can be found. However, in many cases, numerical methods are used to approximate the solution.

5. What are the applications of solving Euler's equation?

Solving Euler's equation has many practical applications, such as in mechanics, fluid dynamics, control theory, and economics. It is also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the best possible solution. Additionally, it has theoretical applications in mathematical physics and calculus of variations.