Correlating experimental VLE data

In summary, the question is whether binary models can be used to correlate experimental data for a system containing alcohol, water, and a pH-buffer, or if a ternary model is needed. Binary models can be used, but if the pH-buffer needs to be taken into account, a ternary model such as UNIQUAC or a modified electrolyte-NRTL model can be used. However, the electrolyte-NRTL model requires literature parameters for the pH-buffer, which may not be available.
Uup115
Hello,

the system is alcohol and water + pH-buffer that is supposed to alter the volatility of the mixture and I need to correlate the experimental data (x1,y1,T measured at constant P).

Question: Can I use binary models like margules, van Laar and NRTL to correlate the data and see if the models represent the experimental values correctly or do I need to treat this system as ternary?

If I need to treat it as ternary I don't know which model to use and how to use it because all the models I found are ment for a mixture of three liquids. I also found the eleyctrolyte-NRTL model but I am fairly certain that I will not find the literature parameter required for the pH-buffer that I am using.

any help would be appreciated
kind regards

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use binary models like margules, van Laar, and NRTL to correlate the data. The binary models will assume that the system is made up of two components, alcohol and water, and that the pH-buffer does not significantly affect the volatility of the mixture. If you want to take into account the effect of the pH-buffer, you can use a ternary model such as UNIQUAC or a modified form of the electrolyte-NRTL model. The electrolyte-NRTL model requires literature parameters for the pH-buffer, so if you do not have access to those, you may need to find other ways to incorporate the pH-buffer into your model.

Related to Correlating experimental VLE data

1. What is VLE data?

VLE stands for vapor-liquid equilibrium, which refers to the equilibrium between a liquid phase and its corresponding vapor phase in a closed system. VLE data is experimental data that shows the relationship between the vapor and liquid phases at different temperatures and pressures.

2. Why is it important to correlate experimental VLE data?

Correlating VLE data is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of liquid-vapor systems. This is essential in various industries, such as chemical engineering, where accurate VLE data is crucial for designing and optimizing processes.

3. What methods are used to correlate VLE data?

There are several methods used to correlate VLE data, including the Antoine equation, the Wilson equation, and the NRTL (Non-Random Two-Liquid) equation. These methods use different parameters and assumptions to fit the experimental data and predict the behavior of the system.

4. How do you evaluate the accuracy of a VLE data correlation?

The accuracy of a VLE data correlation can be evaluated by comparing the predicted values with the experimental data. The correlation should have a low average absolute deviation and a high correlation coefficient. It should also be tested against data at extreme conditions to ensure its reliability.

5. Can VLE data be correlated for any system?

VLE data can be correlated for most systems, but the accuracy of the correlation may vary depending on the complexity of the system and the available data. In some cases, it may be necessary to use more advanced methods or obtain additional experimental data to improve the accuracy of the correlation.