Correlation and mathematical expectation question

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving random variables and their mathematical expectations. The first problem involves finding the expected maximum and minimum values of a set of independent random variables that follow a continuous uniform distribution. The expected maximum is found to be n/(n+1), while the expected minimum is 1/(n+1). The second problem involves finding the correlation between two sums of independent random variables with a given mathematical expectation and variance. The correlation is calculated using the formula Cov(X_1+X_2,X_2+X_3)/sqrt(Var(X_1+X_2)*Var(X_2+X_3)). The conversation also briefly discusses the possibility of finding the joint probability density function for two random variables
Barioth
Hi, I have these 2 problem, that I'm not so sure how to handle.

1-Let \(\displaystyle X_1,X_2,...,X_n\) independant Random variable that all follow a continuous uniform distribution in (0,1)
a) Find \(\displaystyle E[Max(X_1,X_2,...,X_n)]\)
b) Find \(\displaystyle E[Min(X_1,X_2,...,X_n)]\)

where E is for the mathematical expectation. I'm not so sure how to tackle such a question.

2-Let\(\displaystyle X_1, X_2, X_3 and X_4\) are Random variable with no correlation two by two.
Each with mathematical expectation = 0 and variance =1. Evaluate the Correlation for

a-\(\displaystyle X_1+X_2 and X_2+X_3\)

b-\(\displaystyle X_1+X_2 and X_3+X_4\)

I know that \(\displaystyle Corr(X_1+X_2,X_2+X_3)=\frac{Cov(X_1+X_2,X_2+X_3)}{ \sqrt {Var(X_1+X_2)*Var(X_2+X_3)}}\)

All I can think of is using the CTL, but since I don't know if they're independant I can't use it? Also we've seen the CTL after been giving this problem.

Thanks for passing by!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: correlation and mathematical expectation question

Barioth said:
Hi, I have these 2 problem, that I'm not so sure how to handle.

1-Let \(\displaystyle X_1,X_2,...,X_n\) independant Random variable that all follow a continuous uniform distribution in (0,1)

a) Find \(\displaystyle E[Max(X_1,X_2,...,X_n)]\)

b) Find \(\displaystyle E[Min(X_1,X_2,...,X_n)]\)

In...

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f52/unsolved-statistic-questions-other-sites-part-ii-1566/index6.html

... it has been found that...

$\displaystyle E \{ Max X_{i}, i=1,2,...,n\} = \frac{n}{n+1}$ (1)

It is very easy to find that is...

$\displaystyle E \{ Min X_{i}, i=1,2,...,n\} = \frac{1}{n+1}$ (2)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks it's a pretty clean solution!

I was wondering, if I'm given the probability density of X and Y and we do not know if they are inderpendant. Is there a way to find \(\displaystyle f_{X,Y}(x,y)\)?

Hi there,

I can provide some guidance on how to approach these questions. For the first problem, we are given n independent random variables that follow a continuous uniform distribution in the range of (0,1). This means that each of these variables has an equal chance of occurring within this range. To find the expected value, we can use the formula E[X] = (a+b)/2, where a and b are the lower and upper limits of the distribution. In this case, a=0 and b=1, so E[X] = (0+1)/2 = 0.5. Since we are looking for the expected value of the maximum and minimum of these n variables, we can use the fact that the maximum value will be at least as large as any of the individual values, and the minimum value will be at most as small as any of the individual values. Therefore, for part a) we can say that E[Max(X_1,X_2,...,X_n)] = E[X_i] = 0.5, and for part b) we can say that E[Min(X_1,X_2,...,X_n)] = E[X_i] = 0.5.

For the second problem, we are asked to find the correlation between two pairs of random variables, X_1+X_2 and X_2+X_3, and X_1+X_2 and X_3+X_4. The formula for correlation is given correctly, but we also need to know the covariance between these pairs of variables. Since we are given that X_1, X_2, X_3, and X_4 have no correlation, we can assume that the covariance between any two of these variables is 0. Therefore, for both parts a) and b), we can say that Cov(X_i+X_j, X_k+X_l) = 0, and the correlation will be 0 as well.

I hope this helps in tackling these problems. Remember to always use the appropriate formulas and assumptions when solving mathematical problems. Good luck!

FAQ: Correlation and mathematical expectation question

1. What is correlation and how is it calculated?

Correlation is a statistical measure that describes the relationship between two variables. It shows how closely these variables are related to each other and in what direction (positive or negative). Correlation is calculated using a statistical formula called the correlation coefficient, which ranges from -1 to +1.

2. What is the difference between positive and negative correlation?

A positive correlation means that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases. In contrast, a negative correlation means that as one variable increases, the other variable decreases. A correlation of 0 indicates no relationship between the variables.

3. How is correlation different from causation?

Correlation does not imply causation. Just because two variables are correlated, it does not necessarily mean that one variable causes the other. There could be other factors or variables that are influencing the relationship.

4. What is mathematical expectation and how is it calculated?

Mathematical expectation, also known as expected value, is a statistical concept that represents the average outcome of a random event over a large number of trials. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability, and then summing these values.

5. How is correlation used in data analysis and research?

Correlation is used to identify and measure the strength of relationships between variables in a dataset. It helps researchers to understand the direction and magnitude of the relationship between two variables, and can be used to make predictions or inform decision-making. However, correlation should be interpreted carefully and should not be used to make causal claims.

Back