Corresponding Pressure gradient with flow velocity

In summary, the conversation is about hydraulic engineering, specifically simulating laminar flow induced by a pressure gradient. The typical pressure gradient used in flow can vary greatly depending on the situation, with units in pascals per meter. The speaker is also working on oscillating waves, which can be characterized by a certain period and velocity amplitude. The pressure gradient for this type of flow can be found using the velocity gradient formula. The speaker is confused about the calculations for their specific situation, with a pressure gradient of 1308 kg/(m²s²) and a velocity amplitude of 1.5 m/s. The expert suggests clarifying the physical situation and type of flow being dealt with before determining a more accurate pressure gradient.
Mazzletov
I have some questions concerning hydraulic engineering. I'm currently working an simulating laminar flow.
This laminar flow is induced by a pressure gradient. The assumed length is 1 meter, therefore the pressure gradient is equal to the actual pressure in reference with zero.

What are typical pressure gradient used in flow? I'm not certain but I think the imposed pressure gradient has units N/m². So typical values are around 1 N/m² to impose flow or am I wrong about this?
On the other hand, I'm working on oscillating waves. These wave are characterised by a certain period T and velocity amplitude. The corresponding pressure gradient can be found using the velocity gradient.

∂P(osc)/∂x = -ρw*∂u(osc)/∂t

The oscillating flow is described as with t, the time step and the density of water ;

u(osc) = U(ampl)*cos(2*π*t/T)
∂P(osc)/∂x = ρw*U(ampl)*2*π/T

If the amplitude of the velocity U(ampl) is equal to 1,5 m/s. What would my pressure gradient be equal to? I'm a little bit confused because I find a pressure gradient of 1308 kg/(m²s²) but I think I did something wrong.

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, a N/m2 is a pascal. That is pressure. The units of pressure gradient are Pa/m in SI units. Second, pressure gradients can come in all sorts of magnitudes depending on the situation. It could range anywhere from 0 Pa/m, for example in a Blasius boundary layer, all the way up to several TPa/m, for example across a shock wave. What is your physical situation here? What sort of flow are you dealing with?

I'm working with open channel flow. If I use pressure gradiënt of 103 Pa, I obtain speeds of 70m/s equivalent with 250 km/h which look a little bit unbelievable hehe

Related to Corresponding Pressure gradient with flow velocity

1. What is the relationship between pressure gradient and flow velocity?

The pressure gradient is directly proportional to the flow velocity. This means that as the flow velocity increases, the pressure gradient also increases.

2. How does the pressure gradient affect the flow of a fluid?

The pressure gradient is responsible for creating a force that drives the fluid to flow. A high pressure gradient leads to a faster flow, while a low pressure gradient results in a slower flow.

3. What factors can influence the pressure gradient in a fluid?

The pressure gradient in a fluid can be influenced by multiple factors, such as the viscosity of the fluid, the shape and size of the container or channel through which the fluid is flowing, and the presence of any obstacles or restrictions in the flow path.

4. Can the pressure gradient and flow velocity be measured in different units?

Yes, the pressure gradient is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi), while flow velocity is measured in units of distance per unit time, such as meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

5. Is there a limit to the pressure gradient that a fluid can withstand?

Yes, there is a limit to the pressure gradient that a fluid can withstand before it experiences a change in state, such as boiling or condensation. This limit is known as the critical pressure gradient and varies depending on the properties of the fluid.