Cosine Rule Problem: I Can't Do a(ii) - Get Help Here

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt at solving a problem involving inverse cosines and cosine of angles and provides feedback on their approach. The suggestion is made to use a correct form of the angle difference formula for cosine in order to proceed with the solution.
CAH
Member warned about posting with no template, and posting only images
See the photo attachments of question and marking scheme and my attempt at a solution :)

I've done a(i) but I can't do a(ii).

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 467
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
For a(ii) you have, basically ##\theta+\phi=\pi## (always use radians) ... with theta and phi expressed as inverse cosines of functions of x.
Your next step was to take the cosine of both sides - but you did this step incorrectly:
note: ##\cos(A+B)\neq \cos A + \cos B##

Still don't see what to do next

CAH said:
Still don't see what to do next
You could go back and fix things up as Simon suggested.

I would suggest that there was little point in taking the arccos when you did.

Notice that:

π - ∠ADB = ∠ADC

Take the cosine of both sides of this. As Simon says, use a correct form of angle difference formula for cosine.

Related to Cosine Rule Problem: I Can't Do a(ii) - Get Help Here

What is the Cosine Rule?

The Cosine Rule is a mathematical formula used to find the missing side or angle of a triangle when given the other two sides and an angle.

Why is the Cosine Rule useful?

The Cosine Rule is useful because it can be used to solve a wide range of problems involving triangles, such as finding the distance between two points or the height of an object.

How do I use the Cosine Rule?

To use the Cosine Rule, you need to know the lengths of two sides and the included angle of a triangle. Then, you can plug these values into the formula and solve for the missing side or angle.

What is the difference between the Cosine Rule and the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is used to find the missing side of a right triangle, while the Cosine Rule can be used for any type of triangle. The Cosine Rule also involves the use of trigonometric functions, while the Pythagorean Theorem does not.

What should I do if I am having trouble with a specific part of a Cosine Rule problem?

If you are having trouble with a specific part of a Cosine Rule problem, such as part (ii) of a question, it is recommended to seek help from a teacher or tutor. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller steps and practicing similar problems to improve your understanding.