Cosine Rule , what good is it ?

In summary, The Cosine rule is a mathematical formula used to calculate the length of a side in a triangle when the other two sides and the angle opposite the unknown side are known. It does not work for negative lengths, as length is always non-negative. It can be applied to vector quantities, but the lengths should be used instead of the components. When using the Cosine rule for velocity, the magnitude should be used rather than the direction.
junior_J
Cosine Rule , what good is it ?

Does the Cosine rule hold true for say negative lengths ? as in a vector quantity like displacement ?

I came across this problem which had -15km and 10km as the known sides whereas the angle opposite the unkown side is 60 degree ...

I tries using c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2*a*b cosC but this didnt work ... then on account of frustration i forcibly changed the '-' part of the formula to a '+' only to find that it works ... ?

Can someone explain this to me ??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ther is no such thing as negative lenght, there is negative coordinates since somepoint has to be 0 and one side will be posetive and the other negative

the 60 degrees is negative, because it is east of north.

negative displacement ? would that apply to the cosine rule ?

There is no such thing as a negative length. A vector quantity (say, in a one-dimensional problem on a number line), or the components of the vector might be negative but the length is always non-negative. If you are using the cosine law in a vector problem, use the lengths, not the components.

so if i had a velocity oh say -15 km/hr ... id use 15 instead of -15 ?? as one of the sides of a triangle ?

yes you would, because you only care about magnitude. The direction comes later.

Related to Cosine Rule , what good is it ?

1. What is the Cosine Rule?

The Cosine Rule, also known as the Law of Cosines, is a mathematical formula used to find the length of a side or the measure of an angle in a triangle. It relates the lengths of the sides and the cosine of one of the angles in a triangle.

2. How is the Cosine Rule different from the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is used to find the length of the sides in a right triangle, while the Cosine Rule can be used for any type of triangle. The Cosine Rule also involves the cosine of an angle, while the Pythagorean Theorem only involves squares of the sides.

3. When is the Cosine Rule most useful?

The Cosine Rule is most useful when we know the lengths of two sides of a triangle and the measure of the angle opposite one of those sides, but we need to find the length of the third side or the measure of another angle.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Cosine Rule?

The Cosine Rule is used in many fields, including engineering, architecture, and navigation. It can be used to find the distance between two points, the height of a building, or the angle of elevation for a ship or plane.

5. How can I apply the Cosine Rule in my daily life?

You can use the Cosine Rule to solve everyday problems, such as finding the distance between two points on a map or determining the angle of a ladder leaning against a wall. It can also be used to calculate the distance between two objects using the angle of elevation or depression.