Cosmic-Ray Detector May Be Shelved

• Thread starter Yowhatsupt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detector
In summary, the conversation discusses a clash between two strong-willed leaders in the field of science, Dr. Ting and Michael D. Griffin, regarding the allocation of resources for a space project called AMS. Griffin has made changes in NASA's priorities, leading to tension with Ting who believes he is a special case.
Physics news on Phys.org
Beyond the experiment itself, the standoff represents a clash between two of the more strong-willed and brilliant leaders of Big Science in America: Dr. Ting of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who is known for his autocratic management style and obsession with detail, and Michael D. Griffin, the NASA administrator, who has shown himself willing to make tough calls in reshaping the space program away from the shuttle and toward the Moon and Mars.

“The loss of Columbia was a huge loss for the entire United States space program aside from the deaths of seven people,” Dr. Griffin said recently in an interview.

“Sam is the one guy we deal with who has not accepted this with reasonable grace,” he said. “He continues to insist that he is a special case. I’m sorry, but he’s not.”
From the article.

Well, that's the way it is.

I heard a presentation by Ting about AMS back in 2005. It sounded great. I wasn't aware that AMS was going to get bumped.

Griffin has made some changes at NASA and rearranged the priorities. I don't necessarily agree with all of changes.

The cosmic-ray detector is an important tool for studying the universe and understanding the effects of high-energy particles. It would be a shame to shelve such a valuable piece of equipment. I hope that further research and funding can be allocated to continue using and improving this detector. Science and exploration should not be put on hold due to budget constraints. We should be investing in these types of projects to expand our knowledge and push the boundaries of what we know about the universe. It's disappointing to hear that this may not be a priority at this time.

FAQ: Cosmic-Ray Detector May Be Shelved

What is a cosmic-ray detector?

A cosmic-ray detector is a scientific instrument used to detect and measure high-energy particles, called cosmic rays, that originate from outside our solar system.

Why is the cosmic-ray detector potentially being shelved?

The cosmic-ray detector may be shelved due to budget constraints and competing priorities within the scientific community.

What would be the impact of shelving the cosmic-ray detector?

The shelving of the cosmic-ray detector would delay or possibly prevent important scientific discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

Are there alternative solutions to shelving the cosmic-ray detector?

Yes, there are alternative solutions such as seeking additional funding sources, collaborating with other research institutions, and finding ways to reduce costs without sacrificing the quality of the detector.

What can individuals do to support the continued use of the cosmic-ray detector?

Individuals can reach out to their representatives and advocate for increased funding for scientific research. They can also support and donate to organizations that fund and support scientific endeavors.