Cosmological constant deceleration parameter

In summary, the deceleration parameter q(t) can be expressed as a function of the cosmological constant density and the scale factor a(t). By using the Friedman equations and taking the derivative of the Hubble parameter, the equation for q(t) can be derived. It can also be determined that the value of the scale factor a(t) at the present time, a0, can be defined as 1 in order to eliminate it from the equation.
ChrisVer
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Give [itex]q(t)[/itex] the deceleration parameter, as a function of:
[itex]\Omega_{\Lambda}[/itex],
the cosmological constant density,
and
[itex]\bar{a}(t) = \frac{a(t)}{a(t_{0})}= 1+ H_{0} (t-t_{0}) - \frac{1}{2} q_{0} H_{0}^{2} (t-t_{0})^{2} [/itex]
where [itex]a[/itex]'s the scale factors

have already defined [itex] τ = H_{0}t [/itex] time parameter, and showed:PLEASE DON'T GIVE SOLUTION (I will repeat it at the end)

I just want to reconfirm my result at first stage.

Homework Equations

[itex]q(t)= -\frac{1}{H^{2}} \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{1}{\bar{a}} \frac{d \bar{a}}{dτ}= \frac{H}{H_{0}}[/itex]

[itex] H^{2} + \frac{k}{a^{2}} = \frac{ \rho_{\Lambda}}{3M_{Pl}^{2}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the observation that [itex]q(t)[/itex] is given by:

[itex] q(t) \propto \frac{1}{H^{2}} \frac{dH}{dt} [/itex]

proof:
[itex] \frac{dH}{dt} = \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} - \frac{\dot{a}^{2}}{a^2} [/itex]
so
[itex] \frac{1}{H^{2}} \frac{dH}{dt} = \frac{1}{H^{2}} (\frac{\ddot{a}}{a} - H^{2})[/itex]
the first term is [itex]-q(t)[/itex]. The second term is 1...
[itex] \frac{1}{H^{2}} \frac{dH}{dt} = -q(t) -1 [/itex]

[itex] q(t)= -1 - \frac{1}{H^{2}} \frac{dH}{dt} [/itex]

So far I think I didn't lose any step... Then I take Friedman equations, and have:

[itex] \frac{H^{2}}{H_{0}^{2}} = \Omega_{\Lambda} - \frac{k}{H_{0}^{2}a^{2}} [/itex]

or:

[itex] H=H_{0} \sqrt{ \Omega_{\Lambda} - \frac{k}{H_{0}^{2}a^{2}}} [/itex]

I take its derivative wrt to t:

[itex]\dot{H} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{H_{0}}{\sqrt{ \Omega_{\Lambda} - \frac{k}{H_{0}^{2}a^{2}}}} \frac{2k \dot{a}}{H_{0}^{2} a^{3}} [/itex]

[itex]\dot{H} = \frac{ H k}{H_{0} a^{2} \sqrt{ \Omega_{\Lambda} - \frac{k}{H_{0}^{2}a^{2}}}}[/itex]

I insert this to the equation I got for [itex]q(t)[/itex], one H is going to be canceled:

[itex] q(t)= -1 - \frac{1}{H^{2}} \frac{dH}{dt} [/itex]

[itex] q(t)= -1 - \frac{ k}{ H_{0} a^{2} H \sqrt{ \Omega_{\Lambda} - \frac{k}{H_{0}^{2}a^{2}}}}[/itex]

and using again that [itex]H[/itex] is the same square root multiplied by [itex]H_{0}[/itex]:

[itex] q(t)= -1 - \frac{k}{H_{0}^{2} a^{2} (\Omega_{\Lambda} - \frac{k}{H_{0}^{2}a^{2}})}[/itex]

Now I can generally determine [itex]k[/itex] from taking the Friedman equation today.
[itex] \frac{k}{H_{0}^{2} a_{0}^{2}} = \Omega_{\Lambda} - 1 [/itex]

[itex] \frac{k}{H_{0}^{2} a^{2}} = \frac{\Omega_{\Lambda} - 1}{\bar{a}^{2}} [/itex][itex] q(t)= -1 - \frac{\Omega_{\Lambda} - 1}{\bar{a}^{2}} \frac{1}{\Omega_{\Lambda} - \frac{\Omega_{\Lambda} - 1}{\bar{a}^{2}}} [/itex]

[itex] q(t)= -1 + \frac{1- \Omega_{\Lambda}}{(\bar{a}^{2}-1) \Omega_{\Lambda} +1} [/itex]

Do you see any flaw?
Am I always possible to define [itex]a_{0}=1[/itex] in order to make it disappear?
PLEASE DON'T GIVE SOLUTION

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Corrected some mistakes^

Last edited:

Related to Cosmological constant deceleration parameter

1. What is the cosmological constant deceleration parameter?

The cosmological constant deceleration parameter, denoted as q0, is a measure of the rate at which the expansion of the universe is slowing down. It is a dimensionless quantity that is used to describe the relative contributions of matter and dark energy to the expansion of the universe.

2. How is the cosmological constant deceleration parameter calculated?

The value of the cosmological constant deceleration parameter is calculated using the Friedmann equation, which relates the expansion rate of the universe to the energy density of its contents. It can also be calculated using observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the clustering of galaxies.

3. What does a positive or negative value of the cosmological constant deceleration parameter indicate?

A positive value of the cosmological constant deceleration parameter indicates that the expansion of the universe is slowing down, while a negative value indicates that the expansion is accelerating. This value is influenced by the amount of matter and dark energy present in the universe, with larger values indicating a greater contribution from dark energy.

4. How does the cosmological constant deceleration parameter relate to the fate of the universe?

The value of the cosmological constant deceleration parameter is one factor that determines the ultimate fate of the universe. If the value is less than 0, the universe will continue to expand indefinitely. If the value is greater than 0, the universe will eventually stop expanding and collapse in a "Big Crunch." If the value is exactly 0, the expansion of the universe will eventually slow down to a halt.

5. Has the value of the cosmological constant deceleration parameter changed over time?

Observations have shown that the value of the cosmological constant deceleration parameter has changed over time. In the past, it was much larger, causing the expansion of the universe to slow down more quickly. In the present day, it has a small positive value, indicating that the expansion is currently accelerating due to the influence of dark energy.