Could a 100% hydraulic system as a vehicle prime mover work?

In summary, a hydraulic prime mover would be better than an electric prime mover in a perfect world because it would have infinite power and be simpler to integrate into a demonstrable vehicle. However, you could simply mount the electric motor to the yoke of the differential and achieve the same performance.
jettlea
Given: I understand that there would have to be the equivalent energy source to drive the pump. That I will look to later (my gut says the real issue), but for the purposes of this discussion, assume endless power from a source of electricity or hydraulic pressure/flow, and you have to build a system and integrate it into a demonstrable vehicle asap.

Two initial questions:

1. In a perfect world, between an electric prime mover and a hydraulic, which would (in your view) be better vis-a-vis: off the shelf components, performance, longevity, and simplicity.

2. If a hydraulic prime mover is indeed better, could you not simply mount up the motor to the yoke of the differential and achieve the same performance (thereby by-passing the need for a transmission)?

I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks and am trying to get a handle on this.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
jettlea said:
Given: I understand that there would have to be the equivalent energy source to drive the pump. That I will look to later (my gut says the real issue), but for the purposes of this discussion, assume endless power from a source of electricity or hydraulic pressure/flow, and you have to build a system and integrate it into a demonstrable vehicle asap.

Two initial questions:

1. In a perfect world, between an electric prime mover and a hydraulic, which would (in your view) be better vis-a-vis: off the shelf components, performance, longevity, and simplicity.

2. If a hydraulic prime mover is indeed better, could you not simply mount up the motor to the yoke of the differential and achieve the same performance (thereby by-passing the need for a transmission)?

I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks and am trying to get a handle on this.Thanks in advance

Welcome to the PF.

I don't know if it helps, but 2-wheel drive motorcycles have been using hydraulic drive for a number of years now:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/2351/

Hydrostatic drive vehicles are very common although I haven't heard of it for regular passenger automotive vehicles. Do you have something different in mind or can I assume you are thinking powering a hydraulic pump with some type of engine (gasoline, diesel, etc.) and then controlling the flow to one or more hydraulic motors (wheel motors, single motor at differential input shaft, etc.)?

Yes, driving the hydraulic pump with another source of energy (diesel, gas, etc.).

Lots and lots of special designed vehicles do all that you propose already. I've worked with and around them for decades. With recent improvements in pump and motor technology, it now seems reasonable for a very large variety of vehicle sizes. The trouble is that for smaller vehicles, like passenger cars, the fluid power is much more expensive than conventional options. But if I have to design a thousand ton crane to lift a load and roll down a rail, I'd have no other reasonable options than fluid power.

Its not 100% but close enough

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3003264

http://blog.cardomain.com/2008/03/28/ford-explorer-g/

actually I looked into this for my car with these specs,

Speed: 400-4000 rpm (67 rev/sec)
Disp Size: 2pcs 378 cm/rev (29 in^3/rev)
Pressure: 0-276 Bar (0-27Mpa) (0-4000psi) max 5000psi
Flow rate: 809l/min (13.5 L/s)(213gpm) or 1pc 1618 L/min (27 L/sec)(427gpm)
Power: 300kW working (402 Hp working) or 1 pc 745 kw (theoretical) (600kW working)
Torque: 1424Nm (12605 in-lb)(1050 ft-lb)
direction: Bi-directional
material: steel/iron preferred, others optional
type: internal gear positive displacement preferred, others optional
shaft: axial or radial, splined
QTY: 1 or 2
Fluid: Hyd, normal vis.
flange/port: code 62 preferred or at providers discretion
Mounting: suitable
Noise: N/A
Temp: 15-100 degrees C

the quote was $9000-$12000 for each pump

Last edited:
A lot of care would need to be taken to optimize the flow of the fluid or you will just generate heat.

Related to Could a 100% hydraulic system as a vehicle prime mover work?

1. Can a hydraulic system be used as the sole source of power for a vehicle?

Yes, a 100% hydraulic system can be used as the prime mover for a vehicle. In fact, some heavy-duty vehicles such as forklifts and dump trucks already use hydraulic systems as their primary source of power.

2. How does a hydraulic system work as a vehicle prime mover?

A hydraulic system works by using pressurized fluid to generate force and motion. In a vehicle, a pump pressurizes the fluid, which is then directed to different hydraulic motors or actuators to create movement. This allows for smooth and precise control of the vehicle's speed and direction.

3. What are the advantages of using a hydraulic system as a vehicle prime mover?

One of the main advantages of using a hydraulic system as a vehicle prime mover is its high power density. This means that a relatively small and lightweight hydraulic system can produce a significant amount of force. Additionally, hydraulic systems are known for their efficiency and durability, making them a reliable choice for powering vehicles.

4. Are there any limitations to using a hydraulic system as a vehicle prime mover?

While hydraulic systems have many benefits, they also have some limitations. One of the main drawbacks is the potential for oil leaks, which can lead to system failure. Additionally, hydraulic systems require regular maintenance and can be more complex and expensive to repair compared to other types of power systems.

5. Can a 100% hydraulic system be used for all types of vehicles?

While hydraulic systems can be used for a wide range of vehicles, they may not be suitable for all types of vehicles. For example, smaller vehicles may not have enough space for a hydraulic system, and the added weight of the system may affect fuel efficiency. Additionally, vehicles that require high speeds may not be able to achieve them with a hydraulic system as the prime mover.