Could Every Particle Actually be a Point Singularity?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary: But according to string theory, the fundamental particles are tiny strings. So their physical properties could be extended infinitely in all directions. This is why some physicists call them "point singularities."In summary, according to some physicists, the fundamental particles are actually point singularities. This assumption is based on the theory that strings can become small black holes and vice versa. However, experiments have yet to detect this extended physical property of point particles.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
is it too much to think that every particle is actaully a point singularity?
i think that if string theory is correct than this assumption could be correct because string theory argues that strings can become a small black hole and vise versa so therefore i assume that they share the same propeties therefore singularity is one of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
i found in google that in electromagnetic theory particles are assumed to be singularities but i assume they refer to mathematical singularity nd not physical.

here's what i found (you should know that i haven't read thoroughly):
http://www.google.co.il/search?q=cache:5EZNChW6HBAJ:arxiv.org/pdf/physics/9706011+a+particle+is+singularity&hl=iw&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by a moderator:
loop quantum gravity,

If we look at three inverse square laws of physics; Newton's universal law of gravitation, Coulomb's law of electrostatic and Ampere's law of magnetostatic, as the distance approaches zero into a point, the force becomes infinite.

Yet to compute the gravitational force of a sphere of uniform mass density distribution, the force originates from a singularity as if all the masses is at a point.

Both mathematician and physicist do want to compute accurately but the experimental data refuse to cooperate.

No uniform mass density can be found in nature except the vacuum (mass is zero?). The electron is a point particle. Together with its antiparticle, the positron, their mass is equal. Yet they possesses a magnetic dipole moment, which indicates internal charge distribution. So they can't really be a point particle in the physical sense. Experiment just cannot detect this extended property of point particles. Even the neutrinos do possesses a very small amount of magnetic dipole moment.

Science don't yet have the answer why experiments can detect the magnetic moment but not the extension of the point.

No uniform frame of velocity can be found except light's frame (speed is constant in vacuum).

FAQ: Could Every Particle Actually be a Point Singularity?

1. What does "too much far fetch" mean?

"Too much far fetch" is a phrase that is often used to describe an idea or concept that is considered unrealistic or unlikely to happen.

2. Can ideas that are considered "too much far fetch" still be scientifically valid?

Yes, there have been many ideas that were once considered far-fetched but were later proven to be scientifically valid. For example, the idea of a round Earth was once considered far-fetched but is now widely accepted as fact.

3. How do scientists determine if an idea is "too much far fetch"?

Scientists use evidence, data, and logical reasoning to evaluate the plausibility of an idea. If there is insufficient evidence or if the idea goes against established scientific principles, it may be considered too far-fetched.

4. Are there any benefits to considering "too much far fetch" ideas?

Yes, considering and exploring far-fetched ideas can lead to new discoveries and advancements in science. It allows scientists to think outside the box and challenge established beliefs, leading to new perspectives and breakthroughs.

5. Is there a difference between "too much far fetch" and "too far-fetched"?

The terms "too much far fetch" and "too far-fetched" are often used interchangeably and have the same meaning. They both refer to ideas that are considered unrealistic or unlikely to happen.