Could Hidden Dimensions Explain the Twin-Slit Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses different theories on why individual photons behave like waves in the twin slit experiment. The speaker suggests that there may be multiple photons in other dimensions that contribute to the wave-like pattern. They also mention their fascination with quantum physics and ask for the conversation to be moved to a more appropriate forum.
orbit-one
So, I've heard at least a couple of theories as to why individual photons continue to act as a wave as seen in the twin slit experiment, but none of them really seemed to lock down a specific answer.
So please excuse my ignorant perspective on this when I theorize that the photons continue to follow a wave like pattern, though we are only able to observe one photon at a time and assume that it's a singular photon going through the slit, that there are actually multiple photons that we can't see in other dimensions, being projected as well.

I just find this more plausible than the theory of a singular photon deciding to skew one way or another without anything acting on it. What if between these 11 other dimensions there actually is a complete wave formed, even though we're only seeing one particle at a time?

Again, please excuse my child-like understanding of all this, I'm just fascinated by QP and this has been one that really made me scratch my head.thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this isn't the best forum for this, can a mod move it to one more appropriate?

I am moving this to the Physics forum, but it will be posed as a question, not a personal theory, lest the thread be deleted.

Related to Could Hidden Dimensions Explain the Twin-Slit Experiment?

What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This connection is known as quantum entanglement and it is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics.

How does entanglement work?

Entanglement occurs when two or more particles interact with each other in such a way that their quantum states become correlated. This means that the state of one particle cannot be described independently of the state of the other. When one particle is measured, the state of the other particle is instantaneously affected, regardless of the distance between them.

What is the significance of entanglement?

Entanglement is significant because it allows for the creation of quantum systems that cannot be described by classical physics. These systems have properties that are impossible to achieve with classical particles, such as the ability to be in multiple states simultaneously. Entanglement is also essential for technologies such as quantum computing and secure communication.

What is the twin-slit experiment?

The twin-slit experiment is a classic experiment in quantum physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of particles, such as photons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting pattern on a screen. The pattern shows interference effects that are only explained by the wave-like nature of particles, contradicting classical physics.

How is entanglement related to the twin-slit experiment?

The twin-slit experiment can also be used to demonstrate the effects of entanglement. When two entangled particles are sent through the slits, their interference patterns are correlated. This means that if one particle is observed on one side of the screen, the other particle will also be observed on the same side, even though it may have taken a different path. This shows that entangled particles are intrinsically connected, regardless of their physical distance.