Could Re-Analyzing Redshifts Reveal New Physics?

• A
  • Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
sbrothy
Gold Member
(arxiv, Feb, 2024) LCDM Tensions: Localising Missing Physics Through Consistency Checks.

So, another article which - to me - looks intriguing but sadly passes pretty far over my head. I'm always a little sceptic about articles whose authors start out with a poetry quote - or, as is "often" the case - a Doglas Adams quote.

It seems to make a case for new physics to be found re-evaluating redshifts.

I then found this old paper: (arxiv, 2011) The New Physics of Cosmic Redshift which seems to say that there's nothing, or at least not much, new knowledge to be found there, but, ofcourse a lot of time has passed between the two.

I guess I can't expect anyone to read through all this just to give me their opinion, so I'll settle for an answer to this "simple" question:

Is it conceivable that there's new physics to be found hiding in the re-analysis of the redshifts of the objects out there?

I'll understand if my question is too naive or vague to merit a serious answer (much less one I can actually understand), It just seemed to me that they're talking about a relatively "simple" approach.

Regards.

FAQ: Could Re-Analyzing Redshifts Reveal New Physics?

What are redshifts in the context of astrophysics?

Redshifts refer to the phenomenon where the wavelength of light or other electromagnetic radiation from an object is increased (shifted towards the red end of the spectrum). This usually occurs due to the Doppler effect, where objects moving away from the observer stretch the light waves, or due to the expansion of the universe, which stretches the light as it travels through space.

Why would re-analyzing redshifts potentially reveal new physics?

Re-analyzing redshifts could reveal new physics because it might uncover anomalies or patterns that current theories do not explain. For example, inconsistencies in redshift data could suggest new properties of dark energy, modifications to general relativity, or other unknown physical phenomena that could significantly alter our understanding of the universe.

What methods are used to measure redshifts?

Redshifts are typically measured using spectroscopy. By analyzing the spectrum of light from a celestial object, astronomers can identify specific absorption or emission lines that correspond to known elements. By comparing the observed wavelengths of these lines to their known laboratory wavelengths, the redshift can be calculated.

Have there been any significant discoveries from re-analyzing redshift data in the past?

Yes, re-analyzing redshift data has led to significant discoveries in the past. One notable example is the discovery of the accelerated expansion of the universe, which was inferred from the redshifts of distant supernovae. This discovery led to the proposal of dark energy, a mysterious force driving the acceleration.

What challenges are associated with re-analyzing redshift data?

Challenges in re-analyzing redshift data include the need for highly accurate and precise measurements, the potential for systematic errors, and the complexity of distinguishing between different sources of redshift. Additionally, interpreting any anomalies requires careful consideration of alternative explanations and robust theoretical frameworks.