Could someone check this for me? (photon and wavelength)

• Thread starter confusedbyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the question asks for the wavelength of a photon with enough energy to remove an electron from Li, given the ionization energy of Li as 520 kJ/electron mole. Using the formula E = hv, the frequency of the photon is calculated to be 1.3036 X 10^15 /s. This corresponds to a wavelength of 230 nm, which falls in the ultraviolet range of the electromagnetic spectrum. The steps and results appear to be correct.
confusedbyphysics
This is a post-lab question for my chemistry lab. It's confusing because the questions are supposed to go along with what we are learning in the chemistry lecture, but we're behind in the lecture, so I'm trying to teach myself how to do this since we haven't learned it yet!
Here's the problem:

"The ionization energy of Li is 520 kJ/electron mole. What is the wavelength of nm of a photon having sufficient energy to remove an electron from Li? In what portion of the electromagnetic spectrum would you find such a photon?"

My work:

520 kJ = 520000 J

520000 J/mol X 1 mol / 6.02 X 10^23 photons = 8.6379 X 10^-19 J / photons

Energy = h (constant) X v (frequency)

v = E/h

v = (8.6379 X 10^-19 J/photons) / (6.626 X 10 ^-34 J/s)

v = 1.3036 X 10 15 /s

wavelength (w) = speed of light (c)/ v

w = (3 X 10^8 m/s) / (1.3036 X 10^15)

w = 2.301 m /photon X 10^9 nm/m = 230 nm

230 nm = ultraviolent rays
Does this look right? If someone could help me Id soooo appreciate it! (I need to make sure I did this right or I'll miss the next problem too because they're related)

Physics news on Phys.org
All the steps and the results appear correct, i would of tackled this problem in exactly the same way. :smile:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with this problem. First of all, it is great that you are taking the initiative to teach yourself the material ahead of the lectures. That shows a strong dedication to learning and understanding the concepts.

Now, onto the problem at hand. Your calculations and methods appear to be correct. You correctly used the equation E = hv and solved for the frequency (v). Then, you used the equation c = vλ to solve for the wavelength (λ). Your final answer of 230 nm is within a reasonable range for ultraviolet rays.

One thing to note is that the ionization energy of Li is typically given in units of kJ/mol, not kJ/electron mole. So, just be careful with the units when using the molar conversion factor in your calculations.

Overall, your approach and solution to this problem seem sound. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for help if you come across any other confusing problems. Good luck with the rest of your studies.

Related to Could someone check this for me? (photon and wavelength)

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that behaves as both a particle and a wave. It has no mass and carries energy and momentum.

2. How is the wavelength of a photon determined?

The wavelength of a photon is determined by its frequency, which is the number of complete cycles it makes per second. Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other decreases.

3. Can the wavelength of a photon be changed?

Yes, the wavelength of a photon can be changed through processes such as refraction, diffraction, and absorption. These processes can affect the speed and direction of the photon, thus altering its wavelength.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and energy of a photon?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, which is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that shorter wavelengths have higher frequencies and therefore higher energy photons.

5. How is the wavelength of a photon measured?

The wavelength of a photon is measured using different techniques depending on the type of light being observed. For visible light, a spectrometer can be used to separate the different wavelengths of light. For other types of light, such as X-rays or radio waves, specialized equipment may be used, such as diffraction gratings or antennas.