Could someone help me study this cyclic process of an ideal gas?

Thermofox
Homework Statement
##0.5## moles of an ideal gas, at ##P_1= 1atm## and ##T_1= 20 °C##, go through the following cycle:
From 1 to 2: irreversible adiabatic;
From 2 to 3: reversible isovolumetric;
From 3 to 1: reversible isothermic.
In this cycle the system absorbs ##Q_h=890J## and ##V_2 = 3V_1##
Relevant Equations
##\Delta U = W + Q##
I need to determine:
1)##\Delta S## of the system
2)Total work done by the system
3)##\Delta S## of the surroundings

For point 1 ##\Delta S_{system}=0## because it is a cyclic process.

For point 2 ##W_{net}= W_{1-2} + W_{2-3} + W_{3-1}##.
Since 2-3 is an isovolumetric process, ##W_{2-3}=0##
=> ##W_{1-2}= \Delta U= nc_v\Delta T_{1-2}## and ##W_{3-1}= -ln(\frac {V_1} {V_3})##.

I'm not sure about point 3 though. Because surely ##\Delta S_{1-2}^{surr.}= 0## since in the process there is no heat exchange between system and surroundings. But I don't know how to determine the change for the other 2 transformations. I assume I should be using ##Q_h##, that in this case must be all absorbed during 2-3, but still I don't know how to proceed forward.

Attachments

• 20240624_113120.jpg
    20240624_113120.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 11
Physics news on Phys.org
Thermofox said:
Homework Statement: ##0.5## moles of an ideal gas, at ##P_1= 1atm## and ##T_1= 20 °C##, go through the following cycle:
From 1 to 2: irreversible adiabatic;
From 2 to 3: reversible isovolumetric;
From 3 to 1: reversible isothermic.
In this cycle the system absorbs ##Q_h=890J## and ##V_2 = 3V_1##
Relevant Equations: ##\Delta U = W + Q##

I need to determine:
1)##\Delta S## of the system
2)Total work done by the system
3)##\Delta S## of the surroundings

For point 1 ##\Delta S_{system}=0## because it is a cyclic process.

For point 2 ##W_{net}= W_{1-2} + W_{2-3} + W_{3-1}##.
Since 2-3 is an isovolumetric process, ##W_{2-3}=0##
=> ##W_{1-2}= \Delta U= nc_v\Delta T_{1-2}## and ##W_{3-1}= -ln(\frac {V_1} {V_3})##.

I'm not sure about point 3 though. Because surely ##\Delta S_{1-2}^{surr.}= 0## since in the process there is no heat exchange between system and surroundings. But I don't know how to determine the change for the other 2 transformations. I assume I should be using ##Q_h##, that in this case must be all absorbed during 2-3, but still I don't know how to proceed forward.
The work from 3 to 1 has to be negative. Check what you write.

If Q = 0 for an irreversible process you can't conclude that ΔSsys = 0 for that process.
That would only be true for reversible processes.

To me it's not clear what is meant by irreversible, adiabatic. Does it just mean Q = 0, or does the process follow the adiabatic curve in the pV-diagram? If the latter is true you can calculate W immediately (with one extra assumption).

What is Qh? Is it the total heat transfer during one cycle or it just the heat going from the surroundings to the system?

Last edited:
Philip Koeck said:
The work from 3 to 1 has to be negative. Check what you write.
If I'm using ##\Delta U= W + Q## then mustn't a compression mean positive work? The work is
##W_{3-1}= -ln(\frac {V_1} {V_3})nRT= -ln(\frac {1} {3})nRT##, because ##V_3=V_2=3V_1##

Philip Koeck said:
If Q = 0 for an irreversible process you can't conclude that ΔSsys = 0 for that process.
That would only be true for reversible processes.
I said that ##\Delta S{sys}=0## because entropy is a state variable, therefore if I start at 1 and end at 1 there must be no change in entropy. From 1-2 I have a change in entropy in the system, because, since the process is irreversible, entropy has to increase. Thus ##\Delta S{sys}^{1-2} \gt 0##.
Philip Koeck said:
To me it's not clear what is meant by irreversible, adiabatic. Does it just mean Q = 0, or does the process follow the adiabatic curve in the pV-diagram? If the latter is true you can calculate W immediately (with one extra assumption).
It means that the process occurs rapidly, but with no heat exchange. So ##Q=0##.
Philip Koeck said:
What is Qh? Is it the total heat transfer during one cycle or it just the heat going from the surroundings to the system?
It is the heat that has been transferred from the surroundings to the system in on cycle.

Thermofox said:
If I'm using ##\Delta U= W + Q## then mustn't a compression mean positive work? The work is
##W_{3-1}= -ln(\frac {V_1} {V_3})nRT= -ln(\frac {1} {3})nRT##, because ##V_3=V_2=3V_1##
You're right of course. I was assuming Q = W + ΔU.
Sometimes I get too fixed in my ways.

Likes Thermofox
Thermofox said:
I said that ##\Delta S{sys}=0## because entropy is a state variable, therefore if I start at 1 and end at 1 there must be no change in entropy. From 1-2 I have a change in entropy in the system, because, since the process is irreversible, entropy has to increase. Thus ##\Delta S{sys}^{1-2} \gt 0##.
I must have misread something. For the whole cycle ΔS = 0 for the system, just as you say.

Thermofox said:
It is the heat that has been transferred from the surroundings to the system in on cycle.
Still not clear. Is Qh the total net heat transfer from the surroundings to the system in one cycle or is it just the heat transfer during endothermal steps?
I'm guessing the latter, so Qh would be only Q2-3, whereas Qc would be Q3-1.
Is that right?

Philip Koeck said:
Still not clear. Is Qh the total net heat transfer from the surroundings to the system in one cycle or is it just the heat transfer during endothermal steps?
I'm guessing the latter, so Qh would be only Q2-3, whereas Qc would be Q3-1.
Is that right?
Yes

Thermofox said:
Yes
Good. That means you can calculate T and p for state 2.
Would that help?

Philip Koeck said:
Good. That means you can calculate T and p for state 2.
Would that help?
With that I can complete point 2, but I still don't know how to find ##\Delta S_{surr}##

Thermofox said:
With that I can complete point 2, but I still don't know how to find ##\Delta S_{surr}##
I would go for ΔSsurr 1-2 = 0 since no heat enters or leaves the surroundings and, by definition, the surroundings are unchanged.
The other two processes are reversible so they're you know ΔS for the surroundings.

Likes Thermofox
Philip Koeck said:
I would go for ΔSsurr 1-2 = 0 since no heat enters or leaves the surroundings and, by definition, the surroundings are unchanged.
The other two processes are reversible so they're you know ΔS for the surroundings.
Can you tell me how to find ##\Delta S_{surr,2-3}## and ##\Delta S_{surr,3-1}##, because I can't see it.

You know that the heat for the cycle is 890 J and you know the work for the isothermal reversible step. The change in internal energy for this step is zero, so that means that you know the heat for this step. You also know that the heat for the irreversible step is zero. This all then tells you the heat for the constant volume step.

Likes Thermofox
Thermofox said:
Can you tell me how to find ##\Delta S_{surr,2-3}## and ##\Delta S_{surr,3-1}##, because I can't see it.
Both those steps are reversible so for each of them the entropy changes for system and surroundings add up to 0.
Is that what you needed?

Likes Thermofox
I think you need to know the degrees of freedom of the gas.

Philip Koeck said:
Both those steps are reversible so for each of them the entropy changes for system and surroundings add up to
Is that what you needed?
Then ##\Delta S_{sys}=- \Delta S_{surr.}##?

Chestermiller said:
I think you need to know the degrees of freedom of the gas.
It is a monoatomic gas, I forgot to say it

Thermofox said:
Then ##\Delta S_{sys}=\Delta S_{surr.}##?
Yes, with a minus on one side. That's true for all reversible processes.

Philip Koeck said:
Yeah I forgot to add it.

Philip Koeck said:
But now I get a negative change in entropy, shouldn't it increase?

Thermofox said:
It is a monoatomic gas, I forgot to say it
Then once you know the the heat for the isochoric step, you know the temperature change for that step. Then you can get the temperature at point 2 and then the entropy change for this step.

Likes Thermofox and Philip Koeck
Thermofox said:
But now I get a negative change in entropy, shouldn't it increase?
In total for system and surroundings it should increase.

For the 2 reversible processes it stays the same in total.
For the first process ΔS = 0 for the surroundings, whereas for the system the entropy should increase.

How do you calculate the system's entropy change during the adiabatic expansion?

Let’s see some numbers.

Philip Koeck said:
How do you calculate the systems entropy change during the adiabatic expansion?
I thought of breaking up 1-2 into 2 processes, an isovolumetric and an isobaric one.
=> ##\Delta S_{1-4} + \Delta S_{4-2} = \Delta S_{1-2}##

Thermofox said:
I thought of breaking up 1-2 into 2 processes, an isovolumetric and an isobaric one.
=> ##\Delta S_{1-4} + \Delta S_{4-2} = \Delta S_{1-2}##
Okay. What do you get?

Where does point 4 come in and why?

Chestermiller said:
Where does point 4 come in and why?
Point 4 as the same pressure of point 1 and the same volume of point 2( and 3). I used it so that I could determine ##\Delta S##. Otherwise I don't know how I could determine ##\Delta S_{1-2}##

Thermofox said:
Point 4 as the same pressure of point 1 and the same volume of point 2( and 3). I used it so that I could determine ##\Delta S##. Otherwise I don't know how I could determine ##\Delta S_{1-2}##
An isotherm and an isochor (isovolumetric) would be another option.

Likes Thermofox
Philip Koeck said:
Okay. What do you get?
##T_4= \frac {P_4 V_4} {nR}= \frac {(1)(36.1)} {(0.5) (0.0821)}= 879,4K##, I found V_1 in the same manner.

##\Delta S_{1-4} + \Delta S_{4-2} = \Delta S_{1-2}##

=> ##\Delta S_{1-4}= nc_p ln(\frac {T_4} {T_1})= 0.5 \frac 5 2 ln(\frac {879,4} {293.16})= 11,41 \frac J K##

Since 1-2 is adiabatic, ##T_1 V_1^{\gamma - 1} = T_2 V_2^{\gamma - 1}##

=> ##T_2= T_1 (\frac {V_1} {V_2})^{\gamma - 1}= 293,16(\frac 1 3)^{\frac 5 3 - 1}= 140,9(K)##

##\Delta S_{4-2}=nc_v ln(\frac {T_2} {T_4})= 0.5 \frac 3 2 8,31 ln(\frac {140,9} {879,4})= -11,41 \frac J K##

=> ##\Delta S_{1-2}= 0## but it should be greater than 0, maybe it's because of how I determined ##T_2##?

Thermofox said:
Since 1-2 is adiabatic, ##T_1 V_1^{\gamma - 1} = T_2 V_2^{\gamma - 1}##
It's not reversible adiabatic so you can't use those expressions.

And you don't need to since you already know states 1 and 2 from other information.

Likes Thermofox
Philip Koeck said:
It's not reversible adiabatic so you can't use those expressions.
Ok.
Q_{2-3}=Q_h
=> ##Q_h= nc_v \Delta T= 0.5 \frac 3 2 8.31 (T_3 - T_2)##, hence $$ T_2 = \frac {nc_vT_3 - Q} {nc_v}= 150.36 \frac J K$$

If I use this temperature I obtain that ##\Delta S_{4-2}= -11\frac J K##
=>##\Delta S_{1-2}= 0.41\frac J K##

Likes Philip Koeck
Thermofox said:
Ok.
Q_{2-3}=Q_h
=> ##Q_h= nc_v \Delta T= 0.5 \frac 3 2 8.31 (T_3 - T_2)##, hence $$ T_2 = \frac {nc_vT_3 - Q} {nc_v}= 150.36 \frac J K$$

If I use this temperature I obtain that ##\Delta S_{4-2}= -11\frac J K##
=>##\Delta S_{1-2}= 0.41\frac J K##
That sounds right to me.

Philip Koeck said:
That sounds right to me.
This means That the entropy of the universe increased by 0.41, right?
I found ##\Delta S_{2-3,sys}= 4.16 \frac J K## and ##\Delta S_{3-1,sys}= -4.56\frac J K##
If I sum them I obtain that ##\Delta S_{sys}=0.01 \frac J K##, but I think I can consider this as an error of approximation.
Moreover does this mean that ##\Delta S_{surr.}= - \Delta S_{sys,2-3} + (-\Delta S_{sys, 3-1})= -4.16 + 4.56= 0.40 (\frac J K)##?

Thermofox said:
This means That the entropy of the universe increased by 0.41, right?
I found ##\Delta S_{2-3,sys}= 4.16 \frac J K## and ##\Delta S_{3-1,sys}= -4.56\frac J K##
If I sum them I obtain that ##\Delta S_{sys}=0.01 \frac J K##, but I think I can consider this as an error of approximation.
Moreover does this mean that ##\Delta S_{surr.}= - \Delta S_{sys,2-3} + (-\Delta S_{sys, 3-1})= -4.16 + 4.56= 0.40 (\frac J K)##?
Yes that sounds reasonable.
Without rounding errors the entropy for the system should be unchanged after one cycle, whereas the entropy of the surroundings should have increased (by about 0.41 J/K)

Likes Thermofox
Ok, now I feel like I have a better understanding of all of this. Thanks a lot!

Likes Chestermiller and Philip Koeck
Thermofox said:
Ok, now I feel like I have a better understanding of all of this. Thanks a lot!
I have a follow-up question (also to @Chestermiller):

W1-2 has to be the same as -Qh so that ΔU becomes zero for a complete cycle.

If, however, I insist on calculating W1-2 as Pext ΔV I'm a bit stuck.
With Pext equal to P2, the internal pressure in state 2 (which seemed the obvious choice to me), I get only about half of -890 J.
Surely Pext can't be higher than P2.

Back