Could the lattice constants of ZnO affect the unit cell volume calculation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the relative occupied volume of ZnO unit cell. The speaker shares their confusion about the calculated value and doubts if it is a constant value or varies. They also mention using lattice constants and ion radiuses to calculate the unit cell volume. The conversation also addresses the crystal structure of ZnO and the significance of ionic radii in crystal bonding. The speaker also mentions a source for their values and suggests providing a reference for others to access.
drizzle
Gold Member
hey everyone,
I’m a bit confused, I’m trying to calculate the relative occupied volume of ZnO unit cell, I’ve just calculated that Zn and O atoms occupy about 43.3% of the unit cell, there are 4 atoms per unit cell 2 for each one, although I doubt this value, does it varies or is it a constant value for ZnO, cause I found that Zn and O atoms occupy 40% from an article, the process I did to get this value is as follows:
Lattice constants: a=0.32495 nm, c=0.52069 nm
Ion radiuses: Zn =0.6 Å, O=1.38 Å
Spheres volume: Zn=9.0432E-31 m^3, O=1.10029E-29 m^3
Unit cell volume (Vu)=a^2*c=5.4981E-29 m^3
Total spheres volume (Vt)= 2*V(Zn)+2*V(O)= 2.38144E-29 m^3
The relative occupied V=[(Vt)/(Vu)]*100=43.3%

Another question please;
I found from some source that lattice constants of ZnO are given as: a = 0.3250 nm, c = 0.5207 nm and the unit cell volume of 47.63*10^-30 m^3. this volume is not calculated from the lattice constants where it is 5.5E-29 m^3, how was the unit cell volume calculated?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, a few things:

What's the crystal structure of ZnO? I didn't think it was tetragonal. a^2*c is only the volume for a tetragonal cell, if it's hexagonal or some other structure where the lattice vectors are not orthogonal, then you need to take that into consideration. That is probably why your volume calculation is different in your last question.

One of your inputs, the ionic radius of Zn has only one significant figure? Your final result, to one significant figure is 40%. If you want more accurate output you should first get more precise input. Typing "ionic radius zinc" into google gives me a value of 0.74 angstroms.

Ionic radii should not be taken too seriously, as in a crystal you will always have some degree of covalent bonding.

Edit: Oh, and if you're going to put numbers from an article, you should provide a reference to the article so other people can look at it. If they used different numbers or a different method, I can't help you figure something like that out without having access to the article.

yes, ZnO exhibits a wurtzite (hexagonal) structure, and its unit cell have 4 atoms as I described, what is the relation to calculate the unit cell volume, if my calculation is not right?

For the other question the values were taken from “Colloquiums tasks for Dielectrics- Solution” you can type it into google, it also has a sketch the unit cell. Thanks

Related to Could the lattice constants of ZnO affect the unit cell volume calculation?

What is relative occupied volume?

Relative occupied volume is a measure of the amount of space a molecule or atom takes up in a given volume compared to the total volume of the substance. It is commonly used in chemistry and physics to describe the density and packing of molecules in a material.

How is relative occupied volume calculated?

Relative occupied volume is calculated by dividing the volume of the molecule or atom by the total volume of the substance. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage, which represents the relative occupied volume.

Why is relative occupied volume important?

Relative occupied volume is important because it provides information about the physical properties of a substance. It can help determine the density, compressibility, and other characteristics of a material. It is also used in the study of crystal structures and chemical reactions.

What factors can affect relative occupied volume?

The size and shape of the molecule or atom, as well as the intermolecular forces between them, can affect relative occupied volume. Temperature and pressure can also play a role in changing the volume of a substance, which in turn affects the relative occupied volume.

How is relative occupied volume related to molecular weight?

There is a direct relationship between relative occupied volume and molecular weight. Generally, larger molecules have a higher relative occupied volume than smaller molecules. However, this relationship can vary depending on the shape and arrangement of the molecules in a substance.