Could the LHC potentially form a black hole?

In summary: Hey I heard from a couple differnt places on the internet that there's a possibility that a black hole hypothetically could be formed by the LHC. I thought that black holes were formed by the implosion of a huge star that keeps going in on itself due to gravity. Is it true that this could happen at the LHC?In summary, there is a possibility that a black hole could be formed at the LHC through certain hypothetical extensions of the Standard Model, but it is unlikely to occur and would not pose a significant danger. The more common example of black hole formation is through the implosion of a massive star.
PhysicsWanabe
Hey I heard from a couple differnt places on the internet that there's a possibility that a black hole hypothetically could be formed by the LHC. I thought that black holes were formed by the implosion of a huge star that keeps going in on itself due to gravity. Is it true that this could happen at the LHC?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsWanabe said:
Hey I heard from a couple differnt places on the internet that there's a possibility that a black hole hypothetically could be formed by the LHC. I thought that black holes were formed by the implosion of a huge star that keeps going in on itself due to gravity. Is it true that this could happen at the LHC?

It is indeed true that the typical example of black hole formation is in the collapse of a sufficiently massive star. However, we believe that a small black hole can be formed whenever mass is compressed beyond a certain size. For example, if you had a Planck mass (##\sim 10^{-8}~\mathrm{kg}##) compressed to within a Planck length (##\sim 10^{-35}~\mathrm{m}##), you would create a black hole. In particular, in the very early universe, when all of the mass in the universe was much closer together, the formation of so-called primordial black holes would have been possible.

In certain hypothetical extensions of the Standard Model (mainly models with "large" extra dimensions of spacetime), the true Planck length could be longer than the ##\sim 10^{-35}~\mathrm{m}## distance we derive from measuring gravity at long scales. In these models, at some high energy, the strength of gravity becomes sharply stronger than what we measure at the normal energy scales of the solar system or table-top experiments. In principle, above this characteristic energy, the formation of black holes would become feasible. Such small black holes wouldn't be expected to be very dangerous, because they would decay quickly due to Hawking radiation.

It is unlikely that black holes would be produced at the LHC. The mechanism relies on highly speculative ideas and no other signatures of this type of new physics has been seen so far. Wikipedia has extensive discussions at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_black_hole and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_of_high_energy_particle_collision_experiments

PhysicsWanabe said:

You are a bit late to the party.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=368484

Zz.

Related to Could the LHC potentially form a black hole?

1. How are black holes formed from the LHC?

Black holes are not formed directly from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The high-energy collisions in the LHC do not generate enough energy to create a black hole. However, some theories suggest that if the LHC were to produce microscopic black holes, they would evaporate almost immediately due to Hawking radiation.

2. Is there a possibility that the LHC could create a black hole that could destroy Earth?

No, the LHC is not capable of creating a black hole that could pose a threat to Earth. The collisions in the LHC only produce tiny amounts of energy, not enough to create a black hole that could grow and consume matter.

3. Can the LHC help us learn more about black holes?

Yes, the LHC can help us learn more about black holes by allowing scientists to study the fundamental particles and forces that govern the behavior of black holes. The LHC can also help us understand the properties of black holes, such as their size, mass, and energy.

4. What is the connection between the LHC and the study of black holes?

The LHC is not directly connected to the study of black holes. However, it can provide valuable information and data that can help scientists understand the behavior and properties of black holes.

5. Are there any dangers associated with studying black holes at the LHC?

No, there are no known dangers associated with studying black holes at the LHC. The safety of the LHC and its experiments has been extensively studied and confirmed by experts, and there is no evidence to suggest that studying black holes at the LHC poses any risks.