Could the Seebeck Effect Be Causing Boiler Failures?

• Thread starter Mikej
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a practical problem with a floor mounted boiler that is cycling on and off rapidly when there is no flame. The issue may be caused by a micro amp DC current generated by the Seebeck effect, but it is unlikely as any product detection system should be well isolated from ground currents. The problem is intermittent and may be temperature related. The conversation also suggests trying different troubleshooting methods, such as checking grounding of controllers and temporarily connecting a wire across the aluminum-steel joint. The theory that the hot tri-metal junction is causing confusion in the rectification system is believed to be correct, and securing the screw on the main gas pipe may solve the issue. However, the design of the unit is flawed and can potentially cause
Mikej
A practical problem. A floor mounted boiler frp failed by cycling on and off rapidly with the main gas relay opening closing when there was no flame. This may be happening only when the igniter system is still hot.
The main earthing is through the pilot gas tube, using an aluminum pipe with a brass olive into steel. There is considerable heat curve between the pipe and the steel electrode. Could a micro amp dc current be generating by the Seebeck effect to confuse the detection system?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could a micro amp DC current be generated? Absolutely.
Could it confuse the detection system? I am thinking that you are talking about the flame detection system - but perhaps not. In any case, any product detection system should be well isolated from the affects of ground currents. So my guess would be "No".
Of course, it would take a closer examination of the system to know with any certainty. But I really doubt it.

Thanks Scott, I think unlikely, but replacing the controller doesn't fix it. It is stopping lockouts which I thought impossible. The issue is that the electrode would have a DC bias relative to ground. I don't know, the setup is mikeymouse, happens on several waterheaters and no engineer has yet found the reason. It is intermittent, maybe temperature related but passes every test on the manufacturers test lab..any other ideas?

.Scott said:
...any product detection system should be well isolated from the affects of ground currents...
Mikej said:
...the setup is mikeymouse, happens on several waterheaters...
The operative words are bolded above. Follow-up your hunches. Any way of even temporarily connecting a wire across the aluminum-steel joint? Try disconnecting the sensor on a problematic device. Could be an intermittent open or ground in wiring to the sensors. Also check grounding of controllers. It could even be an issue with the power source. Or someone may even have decided to use the gas supply line as an electrical ground somewhere in the building.:nb)

hmmm

Flame rectification? New to me, just looked it up.

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/98085-troubleshooting-a-flame-rectification-system
has a couple good troubleshooting ideas...

https://yorkcentraltechtalk.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/the-phenomenon-of-flame-rectification/ explains how it works (which i really needed)
Internally, in the control module, once flame is established, current begins flowing in the flame sensing circuit. The current energizes a relay in the control. A minimum amount of current is needed to energize this relay (microamps). When this relay pulls in, one set of contacts open to de-energize the ignition system and another set of contacts closes to keep the main gas valve energized. It is important to know the minimum microamps that are required to “lock in” the control module and keep the unit running.

If the proper amount of microamps is not present, the control will not allow the main valve to remain open and shuts the unit down. Depending on the control, it may or may not go into “retries” to prove that flame was established.

Mikej said:
cycling on and off rapidly with the main gas relay opening closing when there was no flame.

Sounds to me like it's looking for a flame that isn't there.
Does the ignitor try to start one?

Thank you for your ideas. The two Earth returns are by the pilot and main gas pipes.
The theory that the hot tri-metal junction is causing confusion in the rectification system seems to be correct. This morning:
Test at cold..eveything OK. Run the burner 20 mins...test failure.
Predict that the main gas pipe earthing is faulty. Cool and remove the burner and the holding screw is loose. Tighten and replace. This time at hot: no failure. The only difference is that the failure happens when the earthing is defaulted through the pilot's hot tri-metal junction.
I was doubtful that this would be the case, but now 90% likely.
The down side is that the securing screw will soon be loose again due to poor design.
There are thousands of these units with this inherent weakness- the resulting cycling can override the lockout...boom!

Mikej said:
There are thousands of these units with this inherent weakness- the resulting cycling can override the lockout...boom!

Sounds like good troubleshooting.

Is their sales department aware of this ?

When you're sure you're right
- here's what i would do -
Take a picture,
go to internet and find the parent company
click on "Investor Relations" then "Executive Team", find Chairman of the Board

Send to him a letter in your own handwriting describing that problem
tell him how you fixed yours with a work-around
and that you await their corporate response particularly a retrofit kit to provide an improved and reliable earthing means..

A video of the gas valve cycling wouldn't show anything because gas is invisible.
But if you tie a big feather or orange streamer to the gas nozzle so it flutters, unambiguously demonstrating the danger, then your presentation has 'Punch' .

old jim

Likes dlgoff, Asymptotic and Tom.G

Related to Could the Seebeck Effect Be Causing Boiler Failures?

1. What is flame rectification fooled?

Flame rectification fooled is a phenomenon that occurs when a furnace or boiler's flame sensor is unable to detect the presence of a flame, causing the system to shut down. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a dirty or damaged flame sensor, faulty wiring, or incorrect gas pressure.

2. How does flame rectification fooled affect a heating system?

When a heating system experiences flame rectification fooled, it will shut down in order to prevent potential safety hazards. This can lead to a lack of heat in the building and potentially costly repairs if not addressed promptly.

3. What are the signs of flame rectification fooled?

The most common sign of flame rectification fooled is when the heating system is unable to ignite or stay lit. Other signs may include frequent system shutdowns, error codes on the control panel, or a clicking noise coming from the furnace or boiler.

4. How can flame rectification fooled be prevented?

To prevent flame rectification fooled, it is important to regularly clean and inspect the flame sensor as part of routine maintenance. It is also important to ensure proper gas pressure and to check for any damaged or faulty wiring. Additionally, investing in a carbon monoxide detector can help alert you to potential issues with the heating system.

5. When should I seek professional help for flame rectification fooled?

If you have tried cleaning and inspecting the flame sensor, checked for proper gas pressure, and ensured there are no issues with the wiring, but the heating system is still experiencing flame rectification fooled, it is best to seek professional help. A trained technician will be able to diagnose and fix the issue to ensure the safe and efficient operation of your heating system.