Could you use the triangle inequality

In summary: Dick and tiny-tim!In summary, the triangle inequality can be used to prove Pythagoras theorem if the inequality is combined with another theorem that is also true in a vector space.
Orphen89
...to prove Pythagoras' theorem? Or is the triangle inequality considered a corollary of Pythagoras theorem (so it can't be used to prove it)? I have an assingment question that asks you to prove Pythagoras' theorem, so I just wanted to know if the inequality can be used in this case.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Orphen89! :smile:

I don't see how you're going to use an inequality to prove an equality …

it's not precise enough, is it? :redface:

Anyway, the triangle inequality works on the surface of a hemisphere, say, where Pythagoras doesn't, so the first definitely doesn't prove the second :wink:

I actually thought that the triangle inequality could prove pythagoras' theorem on the condition that the 2*[tex]\left\left\| x\|[/tex] [tex]\left\left\|y\|[/tex] (from the proof of the triangle inequality) was equal to zero, because then you will be left with [tex]\left \left\|x+y\|[/tex]^2 = [tex]\left\left\| x\|[/tex]^2 + [tex]\left\left\|y\|[/tex]^2, like in the case of two perpendicular vectors (there is no longer a [tex]\leq[/tex] in the inequality). It seems to work, but if it's mathematically incorrect to 'combine' the two theorems together then please tell me (I'm not brilliant at maths :frown:)

Yes, you can prove it that way in an inner product space. tiny-tim was pointing out that the triangle inequality is true in more general metric spaces where the Pythagorean theorem doesn't hold. Because they don't have an inner product. So it's not a consequence of the triangle inequality. You have to add other stuff to get Pythagoras.

So is it okay to use the Triangle Inequality when vectors are involved? I've checked up how it works in metric spaces, but I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing, because I'm really confused right now :confused:

I thought you were talking about proving Pythagoras by showing (x+y).(x+y)=x.x+y.y if x.y=0. I'm not sure what you are asking now. A vector space with the usual inner product IS a metric space.

Orphen89 said:
So is it okay to use the Triangle Inequality when vectors are involved?

To prove Pythagoras?

A vector space (with a vector basis an' all) assumes Pythagoras.

Dick said:
I thought you were talking about proving Pythagoras by showing (x+y).(x+y)=x.x+y.y if x.y=0.

Yup, that's what I was trying to prove. Sorry if I got the terminology mixed up (I'm new to all this stuff).

tiny-tim said:
To prove Pythagoras?

A vector space (with a vector basis an' all) assumes Pythagoras.

Does that assumption mean that you *can't* prove Pythagoras theorem using the triangle inequality since the TI is a sort of derivation of Pythagoras in a vector space?

No, you CAN'T prove Pythagoras using the TI. Your proof is fine, but it's not directly related to the TI. TI and Pythagoras are two different things.

Ah ok then, I guess I'll just have to prove pythagoras theorem some other way. Thanks for all the help Dick and tiny-tim, I probably would have made a huge mistake if it weren't for you two >_>

Ok, but isn't (x+y).(x+y)=x.x+y.y if x.y=0 a proof of Pythagoras? I keep trying to tell you that it's a fine proof. It's just not the same as the TI.

Dick said:
Ok, but isn't (x+y).(x+y)=x.x+y.y if x.y=0 a proof of Pythagoras? I keep trying to tell you that it's a fine proof. It's just not the same as the TI.

Ah ****, I think I finally understand what you mean now about how the proof is not directly related to the TI (I hadn't read your previous post properly). I know what you mean now, but I think I worded my posts poorly earlier to the point that even I didn't understand it :frown:

Thanks again for all the help

FAQ: Could you use the triangle inequality

1. Could you explain what the triangle inequality is?

The triangle inequality states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the length of the third side.

2. How is the triangle inequality used in mathematics and science?

The triangle inequality is a fundamental concept in geometry and is used to prove various theorems and solve problems in mathematics and science. It is also used in fields such as computer science and machine learning.

3. Can you give an example of how the triangle inequality is applied?

Sure, for example, the triangle inequality can be used to prove that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. If we have a triangle with sides A, B, and C, where A and B are the shortest distance between the two points and C is the straight line connecting them, then A + B > C by the triangle inequality.

4. Is there a converse to the triangle inequality?

Yes, the converse of the triangle inequality states that if the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle is greater than the length of the third side, then the three points can be connected to form a triangle. This is also known as the triangle inequality theorem.

5. How does the triangle inequality relate to other mathematical concepts?

The triangle inequality is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. It is also related to the concept of convexity, which is used to describe the shape of a polygon or a function.

Back