Coulombe Drive: Understanding the Results of an Inertial Drive Experiment

• Thread starter Mr Vibrating
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, the conversation revolves around the OP seeking assistance in analyzing a result related to a patented marine propulsion system. They have uploaded videos to YouTube for others to see the problem and are looking for someone familiar with mechanics to explain the result. The OP is not seeking reminders about the impossibility of inertial drives and clarifies that they are not advocating any kind of violation. They are simply trying to understand why one cart in the system appears to receive more energy than the other, despite both undergoing the same impulse. The OP is not a physicist and is seeking help from those who are more knowledgeable in this area.
Mr Vibrating
Ookay, previous thread was locked out without receiving any help - to the mod in question, I'm asking for assistance in analysing a result, not trying to argue (much less prove) any particular conclusion. I uploaded videos to YT so that anyone wishing to assist can see what the problem is. How else would i share the problem if not by allowing others to see it?
Likewise I'm not seeking reminders of why inertial drives are impossible - I'm fully aware of the reasons, sorry if i hadn't made that clear.Rather I'm hoping someone familiar with mechanics can help explain the result. If that's too much to ask then please ignore the thread. Locking it out (?) is an emotional reaction, not a rational one.

The question remains, why in the arms-free run does the right cart appear to receive more energy than the left cart?

I'm unsatisfied with my previous suggestion as it's inconsistent with the result - it doesn't explain why the left cart undergoes a smaller displacement when the arms are free. My understanding is that equal masses should undergo equal accelerations when subjected to the same impulse, yet here one mass appears to have more energy than the other (it travels further than its opposite)..

Any help appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
...and sorry to double post but I've just double checked the posting guidelines and wish to make absolutely clear for the mods - I'm not advocating an N3 violation, nor any other kind of woo, the YT account is my own and i don't normally use it for this sort of thing.

The device in question is patented as a marine propulsion system, and ostensibly operates as such. I've taken the liberty of uploading videos so that reviewers have a visual reference. A prototype had to be submitted and demonstrated to the patent examiners' satisfaction, so while this may seem a contentious system it's obviously dependent on standard classical physics and thus perfectly explicable as such.

I'm not however a physicist and so have come here humbly beseeching the wise ones to help me understand why this asymmetry occurs.

I've made lengthy efforts to understand the system as best I'm able but have been unable to formulate it consistently with the result.

The crux of my confusion seems to be that i expect energy to be apportioned equally between the masses by an intervening impulse...

...so a smaller mass will undergo a higher acceleration than a larger one, but despite the higher speed it has proportionately less mass and so the same net energy. From this principle one would expect both carts to receive equal energy, yet this is not observed..

Links to the youtube videos you mentioned would be nice.

Thread locked, just like the last one was.

I understand your frustration with the previous thread being locked without receiving any help. It is important for the scientific community to have open and respectful discussions about experiments and results in order to further our understanding of the world around us.

Regarding the Coulombe Drive experiment, I would be happy to assist in analyzing the results. However, I must caution that without a full understanding of the experimental setup and methodology, it is difficult to provide a definitive explanation for the observed result.

From what I understand, the main question is why the right cart appears to receive more energy than the left cart in the arms-free run. This could be due to several factors, such as differences in friction between the carts and the surface, differences in the initial velocity of the carts, or even slight variations in the force applied by the experimenter.

It is also important to consider the limitations of the experiment, such as the accuracy of the measuring equipment and the potential for human error. Without a thorough analysis of these factors, it is difficult to provide a conclusive explanation for the observed result.

In conclusion, I would suggest conducting further experiments and analyses to better understand the results of the Coulombe Drive experiment. This could involve controlling for potential confounding variables, improving the experimental setup, and gathering more data to support or refute the observed result. I hope this helps in your understanding of the experiment, and I am happy to assist further if needed.

FAQ: Coulombe Drive: Understanding the Results of an Inertial Drive Experiment

1. What is Coulombe Drive?

Coulombe Drive is an experimental method used to measure the inertial forces of an object in motion. It involves measuring the acceleration and velocity of an object and using these values to calculate the inertial forces acting on the object.

2. How does Coulombe Drive work?

In a Coulombe Drive experiment, an object is attached to a sensor that measures its acceleration and velocity. By analyzing these values, the inertial forces acting on the object can be calculated. This can help researchers understand how an object moves and behaves in different environments.

3. What are the applications of Coulombe Drive?

Coulombe Drive has various applications in the fields of physics, engineering, and transportation. It can be used to study the motion of objects in space, test the performance of vehicles, and improve the design of structures and machinery.

4. What are the limitations of Coulombe Drive?

Coulombe Drive may not be accurate in certain situations, such as when there are external forces acting on the object being measured. It also requires precise sensors and equipment, which can be expensive. Additionally, Coulombe Drive may not be suitable for measuring very small or very large forces.

5. How can the results of a Coulombe Drive experiment be interpreted?

The results of a Coulombe Drive experiment can provide valuable insights into the behavior of an object in motion. They can help researchers understand the forces acting on the object and how these forces affect its movement. The results can also be used to make predictions and improve the design and performance of various systems and devices.