Coulomb's Law Can someone I don't understand how to do this.

In summary, the net electric force on particle 5 when particle 1 is at its initial position is -3.622*10-26 Newtons.
ScottL

Homework Statement

In the figure 21-29, particles 2 and 4, of charge -e, are fixed in place on a y axis, at y2 = -7.20 cm and y4 = 16.6 cm. Particles 1 and 3, of charge -e, can be moved along the x axis. Particle 5, of charge +e, is fixed at the origin. Initially particle 1 is at x1 = -9.84 cm and particle 3 is at x3 = 9.84 cm. (a) To what x value must particle 1 be moved to rotate the direction of the net electric force net on particle 5 by 30.1o counterclockwise? (b) With particle 1 fixed at its new position, to what x value must you move particle 3 to rotate net back to its original position?

......|......
......|......
......|......
......|......
-------1------5-------3------
......|......
......|......
......|......

I tried to represent the picture that was provided as accurate as possible.
here is the actual picture that I was provided with.
http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c21/fig21_38.gif

Homework Equations

Ok I know that I am supposed to use
FE = k(Qe*qp)/r2)
I can get the force that each one has on point 5 just by using the equation above but then I am stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not attempted the solution yet because I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay. I assume you have heard about the principle of superposition, i.e., that you can add up (vectorially) the force due to each of the charges on anyone given charge. Using this principle (and Coulomb's Law), first compute the direction of the net electric force on particle 5 when particle 1 is at its initial position. Note that force is a vector: so you will have to specify the direction of the net force (as well as its magnitude) when you state the answer. Once you have done this, more help will follow!

IPart said:
Okay. I assume you have heard about the principle of superposition, i.e., that you can add up (vectorially) the force due to each of the charges on anyone given charge. Using this principle (and Coulomb's Law), first compute the direction of the net electric force on particle 5 when particle 1 is at its initial position. Note that force is a vector: so you will have to specify the direction of the net force (as well as its magnitude) when you state the answer. Once you have done this, more help will follow!

Ok Since Fx net = 0 the only ones to take into account are the y directions.
I have come up with Fnet = -F52 + F54 = |3.622*10-26|

And the direction is towards the -y correct?
Or am I completely off base?

Last edited:

Related to Coulomb's Law Can someone I don't understand how to do this.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that explains the force between two electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the force using Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles can be calculated using the formula: F = (k * q1 * q2) / r2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. This formula is also known as the inverse-square law.

3. What is the unit of measurement for force in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for force in Coulomb's Law is Newtons (N). This is the same unit used to measure other types of forces in physics.

4. Does Coulomb's Law only apply to point charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law only applies to point charges, which are particles with no physical dimensions. However, it can be used to approximate the force between larger charged objects by treating them as point charges at their centers.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between non-static charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between non-static charges, as long as the distance between the charges remains constant. However, in cases where the charges are continuously moving, more complex equations and principles such as electric fields and electromagnetic waves are needed to accurately describe the force between them.