Counting Carbon Atoms: How Long to Count 6.0g? | Carbon Atom Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses how long it would take to count 6.0 grams of Carbon atoms at a rate of four atoms per second. The solution involves converting grams to moles and using the molar mass of carbon to calculate the number of atoms. The final answer is 7E22 seconds, which is a very long time. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of having correct units and understanding the scale of the problem.
haengbon

Homework Statement

If you were to count the number of carbon atoms at the rate of four each second, how long would it take you to count 6.0 grams of Carbon atoms?

Homework Equations

----

The Attempt at a Solution

6.0 g Carbon x [1 mole carbon atom / (6.02 x 10^23 grams )] = 9.97x10^-24 moles carbon atoms

then my friend told me...

per one second, three moles.

therefore, 9.97x10^-24 moles carbon x 4 seconds x 1 / 3 moles carbon
= 1.33 x 10^-23 s

I'm having an exam tomorrow and I have a GUT feeling that this'll be asked -__- can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of problems.

Firstly you need to have the units right.
Since you wan't an answer in seconds but you are given a speed (ie atoms/second) then you need ot be dividing by 4 somewhere.

And with these sort of big numbers type questions you need to have some idea of the answer you are looking for.
You know that atoms are very small, so there must be a lot of them in 6g of carbon, so counting at only 4/s it's going to take for ever - you are looking for an answer that is a very long time.

the answer (althoug that isn't as important as the points above) is:
6.0g of C is 0.5 moles (molar mass of carbon is 12)
So there are 0.5 * 6 E23 atoms in 6g of carbon
So at 4/s it would take 0.5 * 6 E23 /4 seconds = 7E22 seconds

Thank you for the guidance! I've looked at the solution you gave to me carefully and studied it ! you made it look so simple :) thank you very much!

Related to Counting Carbon Atoms: How Long to Count 6.0g? | Carbon Atom Homework

What is the definition of "Number of Carbon Atoms"?

The "Number of Carbon Atoms" refers to the total count of carbon atoms present in a molecule or compound.

Why is the "Number of Carbon Atoms" important?

The "Number of Carbon Atoms" is important because it determines the chemical and physical properties of a molecule, as well as its reactivity and functionality.

How can the "Number of Carbon Atoms" be determined?

The "Number of Carbon Atoms" can be determined through various analytical techniques such as mass spectrometry, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and infrared spectroscopy.

What is the relationship between the "Number of Carbon Atoms" and the molecular formula?

The "Number of Carbon Atoms" is directly related to the molecular formula, as the molecular formula represents the types and number of atoms present in a molecule.

Can the "Number of Carbon Atoms" be changed in a molecule?

Yes, the "Number of Carbon Atoms" can be changed through chemical reactions, where carbon atoms can be added or removed from a molecule.