Counting Equivalence Relations on N

In summary: One of the primary tricks to effective counting is to find different ways to 'name' the objects you're counting -- often, it's much easier to count the names in a good naming scheme than it is to count the original objects. I can "name" them as in the way the partition N, though there could be many different equivalence relations which partition N into the same number of parts.
ibc

Homework Statement

Find the cardinality of the set of all equivalence relations on N

Homework Equations

by what we have learned yet we only have to determine if it's countable or not

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the set of all relations on N is equivalent to P(NXN) thus is not countable, so the set of all equivalence relation is a subset of P(NXN) though it doesn't help me much.
I also know that each equivalence relation devides N to a countable number of equivalence classes, but each equivalence relation is just one object of "the set of all equivalence relations" so I don't know what to do with it either.

Homework Statement

find the cardinality of the set of all injective functions from N to N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

same as before, I really don't know where to begin

Physics news on Phys.org
The equivalence classes of an equivalence relation partition the set A into disjoint (nonempty) subsets whose union is the entire set. How many ways can you partition the naturals?

VeeEight said:
The equivalence classes of an equivalence relation partition the set A into disjoint (nonempty) subsets whose union is the entire set. How many ways can you partition the naturals?

a countable number of ways, but I don't see how does it help me here, since each equivalence relation is dividing N into a countable number, but each of these equivalence relations is just an object in the set, so how can the "size" of one object give me any information about the "number" of objects?

One of the primary tricks to effective counting is to find different ways to 'name' the objects you're counting -- often, it's much easier to count the names in a good naming scheme than it is to count the original objects.

When working with infinite sets, you can often afford to be sloppy too. You don't usually need to name everything -- just be able to name enough things.

So, equivalence relations are fairly complicated objects. So can you find some method for labelling them, for which the labels are simpler? What about just certain equivalence relations -- can you find a very simple naming scheme that names 'enough' of them?

Hurkyl said:
One of the primary tricks to effective counting is to find different ways to 'name' the objects you're counting -- often, it's much easier to count the names in a good naming scheme than it is to count the original objects.

When working with infinite sets, you can often afford to be sloppy too. You don't usually need to name everything -- just be able to name enough things.

So, equivalence relations are fairly complicated objects. So can you find some method for labelling them, for which the labels are simpler? What about just certain equivalence relations -- can you find a very simple naming scheme that names 'enough' of them?

O_O
I really don't know
I can "name" them as in the way the partition N, though there could be many different equivalence relations which partition N into the same number of parts.
I know that the "biggest" one is the relations "equal", which divide N to N parts, (1,1), (2,2), (3,3) ... and all others are partition N to "less than N" parts, but then, I could see how this would help me if I were to take the union of all these sets, but I don't, each set is just an object in the big set, so how does the "size" of an object tells me how many objects are there?

Related to Counting Equivalence Relations on N

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concepts of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a foundation for other areas of mathematics and has applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and statistics.

2. What is cardinality?

Cardinality is a measure of the size or number of elements in a set. It is denoted by the symbol |S|, where S is a set. The cardinality of a finite set is simply the number of elements in that set. However, the concept of cardinality can also be extended to infinite sets.

3. How is cardinality different from counting?

Counting is the process of determining the number of elements in a set by physically or mentally counting them. Cardinality, on the other hand, is a mathematical concept that provides a more abstract and precise way of measuring the size of a set. It takes into account the properties of sets, such as order and repetition, which may affect the counting process.

4. What is the difference between finite and infinite cardinality?

Finite cardinality refers to the number of elements in a set that can be counted and represented by a natural number. Infinite cardinality, on the other hand, refers to the size of a set that cannot be counted and does not have a finite limit. Infinite sets have different levels of cardinality, with some being larger than others.

5. How is cardinality related to other concepts in mathematics?

Cardinality is closely related to other concepts in mathematics such as function, bijection, and equivalence. It provides a way of comparing the sizes of different sets and determining if there is a one-to-one correspondence between them. Cardinality also plays a crucial role in the study of infinite sets and their properties.