Counting functions on the set {1, 2, 3}

In summary, for the first problem, there are 6 functions in F_3 such that (f∘f)(1) = 3. For the second problem, there are 243 ordered pairs (f,g) of functions in F_3 such that (f∘g)(1) = 3, and this can be intuitively understood by considering the relationship between f and g and the total number of functions in F_3.
Micand
Hello!

I'm unsure of how to attack the following problem. It states that [tex]F_{3}[/tex] denotes the set of all functions from {1, 2, 3} to {1, 2, 3}, then asks one to find the number of functions f ∊ [tex]F_{3}[/tex] such that (f ∘ f)(1) = 3. Simpler questions are clear to me -- I see, for example, that the total number of functions is 33 and that there are 32 functions where f(1) = 3 -- but I'm not sure of a reasonable way to find how many have (f ∘ f)(1) = 3. I drew out the full tree of 27 possible functions to find that there are six such possible functions, then reasoned backward to the following process:

1. Choose x = 2 or x = 3. (2 ways.)
  2. Map f(1) to x. (1 way.)
  3. Map f(x) to 3. (1 way.)
  4. Map remaining input to any of three outputs. (3 ways.)

This yields 2*1*1*3 = 6 functions with (f ∘ f)(1) = 3, but I question whether there's a more intuitive way to go about it.

The second related problem I'm struggling with asks one to find the number of ordered pairs (f, g) of functions in [tex]F_{3}[/tex] so that (f ∘ g)(1) = 3. On this one, I take the following approach:

1. Choose x = 1, 2, or 3. (3 ways.)
  2. Map g(1) to x. (1 way.)
  3. Map f(x) to 3. (1 way.)
  4. Map g(2) and g(3) to any of three outputs. (3*3 ways.)
  5. Map other two f inputs to any of three outputs. (3*3 ways.)

This yields 3*1*1*(3*3)*(3*3) = 243 functions. Is this correct? Is there a more reasonable way to go about it?

Any assistance you can offer will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach for the first problem is correct. For the second problem, you are also correct. A more intuitive way to think about it is to note that for any given function f, there can only be one function g such that (f∘g)(1) = 3. This is because the output of g is determined by the input of f, and the output of f must be 3 in order for the composition to have an output of 3 at 1. Therefore, the total number of ordered pairs (f,g) that satisfy the condition is equal to the total number of functions in F_3, which is 33. Hope this helps!

FAQ: Counting functions on the set {1, 2, 3}

What is a counting function?

A counting function is a mathematical function that assigns a unique output to each element in a set. In the context of the set {1, 2, 3}, a counting function would map each element to a distinct natural number (1, 2, or 3).

How many counting functions are there on the set {1, 2, 3}?

There are 6 counting functions on the set {1, 2, 3}. This can be determined by using the formula 2^n, where n is the number of elements in the set. In this case, 2^3 = 8, but since we cannot map the elements to the same output, we subtract the 2 functions that map all elements to the same number (111 and 222), leaving us with 6 possible counting functions.

What is the purpose of counting functions?

Counting functions are useful in mathematics and computer science for organizing and analyzing data. They allow us to map elements to unique outputs, making it easier to keep track of and manipulate large sets of data.

Can counting functions be used on sets with more than 3 elements?

Yes, counting functions can be used on sets with any number of elements. The number of possible counting functions will increase with the size of the set according to the formula 2^n, as mentioned in the answer to the second question.

How are counting functions different from other types of functions?

Counting functions are a specific type of function that maps elements of a set to unique outputs, while other types of functions may map elements to non-unique outputs or may not be defined for all elements in the set. Counting functions are also commonly used in combinatorics and set theory, while other types of functions may have different applications.